Crosstown High (XTH) is an innovative public charter high school in Memphis’ city center. XTH is strategically and intentionally located in Crosstown Concourse, a 1.1M square foot vibrant, “vertical urban village” that houses retail, restaurants and residential apartments. XTH students will leverage the assets of this redevelopment effort through hands-on partnerships and academic projects with participating Crosstown Concourse nonprofit and for-profit organizations that span health care, education, and the arts, to name a few.
The idea for XTH was born from an application to the XQ Super School Challenge submitted by a cross section of Memphis volunteers (young people, parents, educators and community members). The Challenge invited teams to reimagine how high schools can better prepare students for college, the workplace and life.
XTH’s approach to education is unique in a number of ways:
- Location: The school’s location in Crosstown Concourse provides students with the opportunity to build rich and ongoing relationships with each other and the Crosstown Concourse community.
- Curriculum: XTH’s curriculum is project-based, which provides students with real-world connections to what they are learning in school. Students also have the autonomy to direct their course of study, allowing them to pursue academic work and projects that inspire them.
- Diverse by design: XTH recruits its students from a diverse cross-section of the city to ensure that a broad range of students can take advantage of all the opportunities this school will offer.
Roles and Responsibilities
XTH’s Guest Teachers (substitute teacher) will be on call to provide coverage if a teacher is out of class on any given day. Responsibilities include:
- Provide coverage for teachers who are absent
- Communicate effectively with learners
- Display a fair and just manner for all students
- Record attendance for classes and groups
- Implement teacher’s lesson plans during coverage
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal relationships with students, staff members and administrators
- Enforce all school policies
- Leave teachers records and notes concerning attendance, class dynamics, and student performance
The strongest candidates will have the following skills and experiences:
- A pleasant, welcoming, and professional demeanor
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills
- Ability to keep records (attendance) and notes of student performance
- Commitment to instruct students according to the teacher’s lesson plans
Education and Experience
- At minimum, an Associate’s Degree from an accredited college/university
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Previous experience as a teacher or guest teacher/substitute teacher is preferred
Salary and Benefits
XTH offers a competitive daily rate for guest teachers.
If your experiences and passion make you a great fit for the role, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com telling us why you’re excited about this particular role and what you’ll bring to it. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Crosstown High is an equal opportunity employer and actively invites a diversity of candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or religion.