Position: Student Support Team Assistant
Reports to: Dean of Students and Professional School Counselor
Application Deadline: Until position is filled
Start Date: Immediately
Answering the Call
Feeling stifled by an environment where your opinions aren’t valued? Wouldn’t it be cool if you could work in a school that cultivates students’ creativity and makes learning relevant through real-world experiences? An environment where you are treated as a trusted resource among your peers? A school in which relationships are valued more than compliance?
Our school is growing and we need to add a member to our student support team who is willing to go the extra mile to ensure that we are providing appropriate holistic social, emotional, and academic support to each of our students. We take a strengths-based approach to relating to our students. We believe that each student is a uniquely gifted individual who has something to contribute to our school community. We strive for equity by working to provide each student with what they uniquely need to find success.
Crosstown High (XTH) is an innovative public charter high school which opened in August 2018 in Memphis’ city center. XTH is strategically and intentionally located in Crosstown Concourse, a 1.1M square foot “vertical urban village” that houses retail, restaurants and residential apartments. XTH students leverage the assets of this redevelopment through hands-on partnerships and academic projects with participating Crosstown Concourse nonprofit and for-profit organizations that span health care, education, and the arts, to name a few.
The idea for XTH was born from an application to the XQ Super School Challenge submitted by a cross section of Memphis volunteers (young people, parents, educators and community members). The Challenge invited teams to reimagine how high schools can better prepare students for college, the workplace and life.
XTH’s approach to education was developed using Design Thinking and is unique in a number of ways:
- Location: The school’s location in Crosstown Concourse provides students with the opportunity to build rich and ongoing relationships with each other and the Crosstown Concourse community.
- Curriculum: XTH’s curriculum is project-based and competency-based which provides students with real-world connections to what they are learning in school and allows them to broaden their understanding of content standards through real-world applications. Students also have the autonomy to direct their course of study, allowing them to pursue academic work and projects that inspire them.
- Support: XTH utilizes a relationship-based approach to accommodate the learning needs and social-emotional development of students.
- Diverse by design: XTH recruits its students from a diverse cross-section of the city to ensure that a broad range of students can take advantage of all the opportunities this school offers.
Roles and responsibilities
The successful candidate for this role will be willing to work collaboratively with our Dean of Students and Professional School Counselor to both respond to needs as they arise and to be proactive in developing systems that address the social, emotional and academic needs of our students. We need a team player who is willing to jump in where needed to take care of our students. This role will require a high level of flexibility. Specific areas where your assistance may be needed will include (but are not limited to):
- Meeting with students who are experiencing social, emotional or behavioral challenges and matching them with appropriate resources
- Meeting with parents regarding the social and emotional health of their children
- Conducting “support groups” for students dealing with similar issues
- Aiding with restorative justice practices
- Assisting with creating and maintaining tracking systems around student support
The strongest candidates will have the following certifications, skills, and experiences:
- Enjoy working with high school students and staff in a progressive, “think outside the box” environment
- Highly empathetic and able to connect easily with a wide range of students
- Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills with the ability to communicate well with a diverse population of interested parties (community-based partners, students, parents, administrators and staff)
- Highly detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to make sound decisions
- Proficient usage of Google Suite Applications (Drive, Sheets, Docs, Forms)
- Ability to collaborate in teams, remotely and in person.
- A willingness and eagerness to self-manage and learn new skills to keep up in a fast-paced environment
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
Salary and Benefits
XTH offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
If your experiences and passion make you a great fit for the role, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please address some or all of the following:
What about the Crosstown High opportunity most speaks to you?
What past experiences makes you unique and a good fit for XTH?
What are some sources of inspiration in your own professional growth?
Crosstown High is unable to notify all candidates when a position has been filled. Please email us for status updates. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Crosstown High is an equal opportunity employer and actively invites a diversity of candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or religion.