Position: Special Assistant to the Administrative Team
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Application Deadline: Until position is filled
Start Date: Immediately
Answering the Call
Feeling stifled by an environment where your opinions aren’t valued? Wouldn’t it be cool if you could work in a school that cultivates students’ creativity and makes learning relevant through real-world experiences? An environment where you are treated as a trusted resource among your peers? A school in which relationships are valued more than compliance?
Our school is growing and we need to add a new member to our administrative staff who is comfortable working in a fast-paced, exciting, and forward-thinking environment. Crosstown High’s Special Assistant to the Administrative Team will provide support and assistance in the day-to-day operations of a busy high school.
Crosstown High (XTH) is an innovative public charter high school which opened in August 2018 in Memphis’ city center. XTH is strategically and intentionally located in Crosstown Concourse, a 1.1M square foot “vertical urban village” that houses retail, restaurants and residential apartments. XTH students leverage the assets of this redevelopment through hands-on partnerships and academic projects with participating Crosstown Concourse nonprofit and for-profit organizations that span health care, education, and the arts, to name a few.
The idea for XTH was born from an application to the XQ Super School Challenge submitted by a cross section of Memphis volunteers (young people, parents, educators and community members). The Challenge invited teams to reimagine how high schools can better prepare students for college, the workplace and life.
XTH’s approach to education was developed using Design Thinking and is unique in a number of ways:
- Location: The school’s location in Crosstown Concourse provides students with the opportunity to build rich and ongoing relationships with each other and the Crosstown Concourse community.
- Curriculum: XTH’s curriculum is project-based and competency-based which provides students with real-world connections to what they are learning in school and allows them to broaden their understanding of content standards through real-world applications. Students also have the autonomy to direct their course of study, allowing them to pursue academic work and projects that inspire them.
- Support: XTH utilizes a relationship-based approach to accommodate the learning needs and social-emotional development of students.
- Diverse by design: XTH recruits its students from a diverse cross-section of the city to ensure that a broad range of students can take advantage of all the opportunities this school offers.
Roles and responsibilities
The successful candidate for this role will be adept at project management and highly capable of handling multiple priorities simultaneously. Must be willing to work collaboratively with a number of different members of our administrative team to accomplish a variety of goals. We need a team player who is willing to jump in where needed to get the task at hand completed. This role will require a high level of flexibility. Specific areas where your assistance may be needed will include (but are not limited to):
Clerical Support/Office Management
- Serve as part of a team that shares duties at a busy front desk — answering phones, and assisting students, parents and visitors.
- Collaborating within a team of office administrators to work on special projects (records support, registration packets, bulk mailings, etc.) as needed
- Coordination of field trips, including parental permission forms, scheduling transportation, and collecting fees
- Coordinating student meals and cafeteria logs with SCS Nutrition Services
- Assist office team when needed with tasks such as:
- Data entry, including logging student attendance and updating contact information using PowerSchool and SchoolMint platforms
- Maintaining visitor and late check-in/early check-out logs, as well as other school-related paperwork
- Managing multiple calendars and scheduling meetings and other events
- Managing our family communications platform, ParentSquare, including maintaining the contact info of all parents, students and staff.
- Manage the school’s social media sites, posting relevant content, and maintaining the school’s brand
- Coordinating communications to students
- Assisting with weekly emails to families
- Assisting with the updating and maintaining of website content, as needed
Student Scheduling Support
In the fourth quarter of the school year, we must create schedules for all students for the following school year. This position will assist our Professional School Counselor with all aspects of that process, including:
- Setting up the master schedule
- Updating the course catalog for the coming school year
- Managing the course selection process with current and incoming students
- Creating individual student schedules
- Getting students set up in dual enrollment classes (or any classes by outside providers)
- Managing add/drop requests
The strongest candidates will have the following certifications, skills, and experiences:
- Enjoy working with high school students and staff in a progressive, “think outside the box” environment
- A pleasant, welcoming, and professional demeanor
- Commitment to following excellent customer service protocols
- Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills with the ability to communicate well with a diverse population of interested parties (community-based partners, students, parents, administrators and staff)
- Experience with developing engaging communication strategies for use across a wide variety of channels – email, social media and website content.
- Highly detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to make sound decisions
- Proficient usage of Google Suite Applications (Drive, Sheets, Docs, Forms)
- Ability to collaborate in teams, remotely and in person.
- A willingness and eagerness to self-manage and learn new skills to keep up in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to complete multiple tasks in a timely manner with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to learn new systems, platforms, and processes for data management, student information management, learning management, and fiscal management
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- Prior experience with communications, social media or public relations preferred.
Salary and Benefits
XTH offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
If your experiences and passion make you a great fit for the role, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please address some or all of the following:
What about the Crosstown High opportunity most speaks to you?
What past experiences makes you unique and a good fit for XTH?
What are some sources of inspiration in your own professional growth?
Crosstown High is unable to notify all candidates when a position has been filled. Please email us for status updates. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Crosstown High is an equal opportunity employer and actively invites a diversity of candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or religion.