Star Academy College Preparatory Charter School (www.staracademycharter.org) is a K-6 charter school in Memphis, TN. The mission of Star Academy is to be an educational incubator that promotes critical thinking, collaboration, communication, creativity, and cultural competency in a safe, nurturing, and innovative environment. Since opening in 2004, our scholars have exceeded local and state averages in math and English language arts (ELA) on the state exam.
This role will report directly to the Principal.
The 6th Grade ELA/Social StudiesTeacher will teach content pertaining to literacy, comprehension, social studies, and history that fully encompasses and responds to the Tennessee Common Core Standards (CCS). Our ELA/Social Studies teachers work relentlessly with their teammates to ensure that all of their students not only are able to read, interpret, and pull relevant information from text, but also meet the established standards by the end of the year. All of our teachers believe in joy, trust our students, value our parents, and embrace taking risks. As our name denotes, a Star teacher shines in all circumstances!
- Embody the mission and vision of Star Academy and uphold a culture of high expectations.
- Teachers will plan, organize, and implement rigorous lessons/activities that will facilitate active learning experiences.
- Provide whole class, individualized and differentiated instruction support to ensure students master all standards and performance goals.
- Follow the school-wide procedures in implementing classroom routines, policies, rituals, programs, and systems that support academic achievement and social-emotional development.
- Result-driven educational leader with experience in, and commitment to, standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions.
- Use relevant technology to support instruction.
- Provide appropriate feedback to students, parents, and school administration on the student’s academic progress.
- Understand and use best practices as it relates to student data, instructional planning, and building positive relationships with the classroom.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress and development.
- Participate in professional development sessions, school and parent meetings as well as supporting STAR Academy in any and all endeavors.
- Stay updated with developments in content areas, teaching strategies, resources and methods relevant to changes in education.
- Establish and communicate clear objective for all learning activities.
- Communicate regularly to students and parents of their academic and social behavior.
- Support the Star culture of innovation, citizenship, nurture, and hands-on learning.
- Appropriate, professional dress is required to avoid unnecessary distractions.
- Collaborate and assist in maintaining the Star culture throughout the school day.
- Maintain a positive, successful, student-first school culture.
- Passion and commitment to urban education and closing the achievement gap.
- An ability to manage an urban classroom that uses discipline, structure, positive incentives, and high expectations to achieve measurable academic and civic success.
- Ambition and desire to grow as an educational leader.
- Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of college preparatory curriculum, STREAM (science, technology, research, engineering, arts, and mathematics), and coding.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred;
- Certification: Tennessee Professional Educator License required;
- Experience: At least 2-4 years of middle grades ELA/SS teaching experience in an urban school setting, with demonstrated evidence in developing instructional plans using data to drive instruction and various resources, particularly digital resources;
- Personality: energy and entrepreneurial spirit for a transformation charter school, unwavering in pursuit of excellence even in the face of difficult opposition and challenges, and professional demeanor, strong work ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills.
STAR offers a competitive salary, benefits, and professional development and welcomes candidates who add to the racial, cultural, and gender diversity of the school community.