Invitation to Apply for Instructional Positions at Crosstown High:
Position: Foreign Language teacher
Reports to: Head of school
Application Deadline: Until all positions are filled
Start Date: Start Date: July 1, 2020 (with some required training prior to this date)
Answering the Call
Feeling trapped in the box of the traditional educational model? Ready to rethink high school? Wouldn’t it be cool if you could teach in a super school that cultivates students’ creativity and makes learning relevant through real-world experiences? A school in which the content standards are the floor and not the ceiling? A school in which relationships are valued more than compliance? Do you want to teach your students on a deeper level and facilitate opportunities for them to develop their passions beyond the core content? You’ll be able to do just that at Crosstown High where every adult is a teacher, a counselor, and an advisor. Our diverse, student-centered school is seeking educators who will facilitate “learning that encourages original thinking for an uncertain world”, and will work to develop our young learners as “generous collaborators for tough problems”. If you’re tired of being in a box, apply to teach at Crosstown High, where the box does not exist.
We are searching for teachers who are comfortable working in an exciting, growing environment, who are risk-takers and are driven to imagine and explore the limitless possibilities for our students, and who are committed to providing an engaging, yet rigorous, project-based and competency-based approach to teaching and learning. Successful candidates will be highly collaborative, yet independent thinkers, and will be comfortable co-planning and co-teaching with their professional peers and community partners. And that’s not just a nice thing we say — our teachers regularly plan and lead projects together.
Crosstown High (XTH) is an innovative public charter high school which opened in August 2018 in Memphis’ city center. XTH is strategically and intentionally located in Crosstown Concourse, a 1.1M square foot “vertical urban village” that houses retail, restaurants and residential apartments. XTH students leverage the assets of this redevelopment through hands-on partnerships and academic projects with participating Crosstown Concourse nonprofit and for-profit organizations that span health care, education, and the arts, to name a few.
The idea for XTH was born from an application to the XQ Super School Challenge submitted by a cross section of Memphis volunteers (young people, parents, educators and community members). The Challenge invited teams to reimagine how high schools can better prepare students for college, the workplace and life.
XTH’s approach to education was developed using Design Thinking and is unique in a number of ways:
Location: The school’s location in Crosstown Concourse provides students with the opportunity to build rich and ongoing relationships with each other and the Crosstown Concourse community.
Curriculum: XTH’s curriculum is project-based and competency-based which provides students with real-world connections to what they are learning in school and allows them to broaden their understanding of content standards through real-world applications. Students also have the autonomy to direct their course of study, allowing them to pursue academic work and projects that inspire them.
Support: XTH utilizes a relationship-based approach to accommodate the learning needs and social-emotional development of students.
Diverse by design: XTH recruits its students from a diverse cross-section of the city to ensure that a broad range of students can take advantage of all the opportunities this school offers.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and community partners in a co-taught, interdisciplinary instructional setting, to design high quality, purposeful and meaningful learning experiences for students through a project-based or problem-based approach
- Attend and participate in curriculum design and planning sessions
- Develop meaningful and supportive relationships with students through a positive youth development and restorative justice lens
- Facilitate an advisory group of 12-15 students
- Participate in Professional Learning Communities, Critical Friends Groups, and Student Support sessions
- Develop and maintain positive relationships and communication with parents and families
- Monitor students’ progress towards performance outcomes, personal learning goals, and the twelve XTH Competencies
- Other duties as deemed necessary by the principal to support and strengthen the community
- Bring your “A game” and have fun. It’s what we do at Crosstown High!
- The strongest candidates will have the following certifications, skills, and experiences:
- An undeniable enthusiasm for and commitment to authentically engaging teenagers
- A highly collaborative approach to teaching and learning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational and planning skills
- Teacher applicants must have TN Educator Licensure/Endorsements or equivalent Out-of-State Licensure/Endorsements (If hired, out-of-state candidates must obtain necessary TN licensure.)
- Paraprofessional applicants must be Highly Qualified (50 credit hours or a passing score on the Paraprofessional test).
- Evidence of excellence in teaching in a student-centered and rigorous environment
- Experience in a project-based learning environment is strongly preferred, but not required
- Willingness to learn, explore, experiment, question, create, critique, and enhance as we RETHINK HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION.
Email your cover letter, resume, and a copy of your certification/licensure to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your content area speciality (which language(s) in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address some or all of the following (no more than two pages, please):
What about the Crosstown High opportunity most speaks to you?
What makes you unique as a teacher that makes you a good fit for XTH?
What is it like to spend the day in your classroom? Describe what we might see.
What are some sources of inspiration in your own professional growth?
Thank you for your interest in Crosstown High!