POSITION DESCRIPTION: The ideal candidate will have an understanding of child development, mental and behavioral disorders, social and environmental conditioning, cultural diversity and family systems. The candidate will also understand and be able to implement associated laws for school social work profession (IDEA, Title I, Section 504, ADA, TN Compulsory Attendance, (regulations for excessive absences and truancy), ethical issues, professional issues and standards; foundations of school psychology; and the role and function of the school social worker.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review student records to identify barriers and/or interventions. ?
- Serve on student support teams, trauma/mental health committees collaborating with all necessary school staff.
- Work closely with the school’s Exceptional Children teachers and students, RTI, as well as attend and participate in all manifestation meetings.
- Conduct parent interviews to acquire socio-developmental information as needed for referrals. ?
- Analyze information gained through reviewing records/interviews to determine environmental impacts and appropriate resources needed by students and families. Integrate this information into a written report for school administration. ??
- Lead the school in adhering to regulations of excessive absences and truancy; if necessary attend court interventions and interface with court appointed student case managers. Interview students and parents to discuss issues related to non-attendance and develop a plan of action.
- Develop and implement professional development training centered around support systems for school staff and parents, as needed. ?
- Assess students in crisis and provide appropriate interventions (Clinical if needed)
- Be willing to provide individual and/or group counseling in response to school-wide trauma crises. ?
- Respond to referrals requesting verification of residence and homeless. ??
- Conduct home visits as a method to access the family needs and conduct interviews in response to school referrals. ?
- Maintain an ongoing liaison with community agencies and other resources to meet student ?needs; refers parents and student to agencies when appropriate. ?
- Perform all related work as required. ?
- Participate in professional development activities aimed at current trends and best practices for comprehensive school social work services.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Master’s of Social Work (MSW) from an accredited School of Social work.
- Graduate hours in education: school social work experience or a practicum in education.
- Licensed School Social Worker (LSSW) or Clinical experience is highly preferred (LCSW).
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- A commitment to The Soulsville Charter School and its values; an understanding of The Soulsville Charter School’s mission and unwavering commitment to fulfill it.
- A self-starter interested in working in a fast-paced, startup environment that requires flexible roles.
- A high level of personal integrity and professionalism.
- An unwavering commitment to high academic achievement and high expectations of all students.
- A commitment to personal professional growth.
- Experience with educating/mentoring urban youth.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills, including excellent customer service.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state regulations and statutes.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple complex tasks within a deadline and with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong follow-through skills for completing projects.
- A strong sense of protocol, tact, and diplomacy and ability to work well with a variety of people and personalities and a willingness to take and utilize constructive feedback.
- An understanding of non-profit organizations, events, and especially youth development missions.
- Enthusiastic self motivation, the ability to motivate others, and little need for direct supervision..
- An appreciation of music and various musical styles.
- Availability to work flexible hours
- Knowledge of computers and software programs (i.e. MS Word, Excel and others) and aptitude and willingness to learn new software programs through hands-on use and self study.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and show proof of liability insurance coverage as required by the laws of the State of Tennessee.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a “team player.”
The Soulsville Charter School (TSCS)’s mission is to prepare students for success in college and life in an academically rigorous, music-rich environment. Located in the inner-city neighborhood of Soulsville, USA, in Memphis, TN, TSCS is adjacent to the site of historic Stax Records, where the Stax Museum of American Soul Music now celebrates and preserves the Stax story. TSCS began with sixty sixth graders in 2005 and now serves 580+ students in grades 6-12 with about a third of the students living in the Soulsville community and 86% receiving free or reduced price lunch. TSCS is a tuition-free, public charter school that is about changing kids’ life trajectories.
100% of our first three graduating classes (2012, 2013, 2014) were accepted into college.
TSCS is one of the Memphis charters outperforming traditional neighborhood schools. –Stanford CREDO Study
The Soulsville Charter School’s unique, college-prep programming and unique school culture includes:
- Mission-Aligned Team
- Focused Approach to Curriculum: Backwards Planning, Data-Driven Instruction, Assigned and Mandatory Tutoring
- Character Education
- School-Wide Culture: Consistency for Students and Staff
- College Guidance and Alumni Support
- Soulsville Symphony Orchestra
- Summer Growth Experiences for All Students
- Unique Exposure Opportunities for Students
- Community Partnerships
- Go to thesoulsvillecharterschool.org and click on “Join Our Team.”
- Please attach a detailed letter of interest and resume to the online application.
- All official transcripts should be mailed to The Soulsville Charter School, 1115 College Street, Memphis, TN 38106.
- Email is preferred for questions: email@example.com.
- Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.