Shelby County Schools is one of the largest school districts in the nation and is located in a large city with a hometown feel – Memphis, TN. Here in the Bluff City, we are dedicated to preparing all students for success in learning, leadership and life.
Our work is rooted in the belief that effective teachers and school leaders make the greatest impact on student achievement. Our schools provide a rigorous and engaging curriculum to support the Superintendent’s ambitious strategic goals for college and career readiness. We believe that empowering parents and stakeholders to be involved in the education of our students will make our entire community stronger. #ChooseSCS
Requires a Bachelor’s in Mathematics with a minimum 2.75 GPA. Must be eligible to receive, or currently hold, an endorsement in the grade/subject taught with a valid Tennessee certificate.
Purpose and Scope
This position is responsible for the professional instructions designed to provide academic, social, physical, and skills development for students in specific grades/subject areas to prepare the to be successful citizens and workers in the 21st century.
Essential Job Functions
• Creates an educational environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and needs of the students; prepares instructional materials for classes assigned and provides written evidence of preparation to supervisor/administrator upon request.
• Establishes a standard of classroom behavior; maintains classroom management in and outside of the school.
• Assess the accomplishments of students on an established timetable, and provides written and oral progress reports to parents/guardians, administrators and selected staff; administers tests and assessments.
• Plans curriculum and prepares lessons and other instructional materials to meet individual needs of students within state and school requirements based on the educational, physical, and emotional levels of student development.
• Confers with parents, administrators, specialists, mental health staff, and appropriate resource staff to develop educational programs for students.
• Creates learning materials geared to students’ abilities and interests.
• Instructs students by using educational strategies and techniques to improve sensory motor and perceptual-motor development, perception, memory language, communication skills, cognition, social, and emotional development.
• Motivates students and provides consistent reinforcement of learning skills, and provides continuous assessment and feedback to students for all learning activities.