Schools of Perea
Chief Operating Officer
Position Description: The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a key member of Schools of Perea leadership team, managing the Operations Team and owning all the core non-academic functions for the Elementary School and Preschool, including food service, facilities management, transportation, finance, and student data. The COO will report to the School Leader, serving as a trusted partner responsible for keeping the Schools running smoothly and efficiently.
School Operational Leadership and Management:
- Team Management Develop, manage, and coach a high-functioning Operations Team, consisting of 3-4 people responsible for the daily operations of the Schools. Provide daily personnel management and oversight, ongoing performance management, and systems and professional development to build a strong, cohesive team.
- School Operations: Lead the Operations Team in the development and refining of systems and procedures that ensure the seamless execution of all daily school operations, including, but not limited to:
- School Food Service Provision: Managing vendors, ensuring food health and safety compliance, coordinating operational logistics.
- Student transportation: Arrival and dismissal procedures, transportation vendor management, safety and compliance.
- Emergency Preparedness: Administering all emergency preparedness plans and drills for the Schools
- Facilities Management: Coordinating all facilities needs, including maintenance, upkeep and campus safety
- Supplies and Equipment: Monitor and maintain asset inventories (technology, books, classroom supplies, etc.).
- Information Technology: Facilitating IT support provision to the Schools, utilizing a third-party vendor
Finance, HR, and Compliance
- Provider Oversight: Oversee the work of SoP’s outside finance and HR providers, ensuring they execute their contractual deliverables in a high-quality and timely manner.
- Financial Reporting and Budgeting: Work with SoP’s outside finance provider to manage the Schools’ finances, including driving the annual budgeting process, presenting financial statements to the School Leader and the Board for SoP’s Board Meetings, and actively monitoring the budget throughout the year.
- Accounting and Internal Controls: In coordination with SoP’s outside provider, ensure compliance with internal controls, generally accepted accounting practices, and other financial reporting requirements, including annual audit and tax return preparation.
- Purchasing and Other Financial Procedures: Working with SoP’s finance and accounting provider, oversee the purchasing system, approving payment requests, and ensuring that SoP is paying its vendors and reimbursing staff on a timely basis.
- HR and Talent Pipeline Management: Collaborate with SoP’s outside HR provider and School Leader to recruit, hire, and retain all SoP staff, including relevant processes of onboarding, school culture development, employee retention strategies, and employee transition management.
- Compliance: Ensure the school is seamlessly adhering to all local, state, and federal compliance laws, requirements, and reporting, including but not limited to, outside agencies such as the Department of Children Services, the Department of Human Services, the Memphis Shelby County Health Department, Shelby County Schools, the TN Department of Education, the TN State Board of Education, and the U.S. Department of Education.
Preschool Licensing: Maintain adherence to all government licensing requirements, which include participation in 2 announced visits and approximately 6 unannounced visits per year from the Department of Human Services, Department of Education, as well as visits from the Memphis Shelby County Health Department.
Student and Family Systems
- Student Enrollment and Recruitment: Manage the school registration process and work with the school leadership team to drive student recruitment activities to ensure both schools are fully enrolled with healthy waitlists.
- Student Information Management: partner with Operations Team to ensure accurate maintenance of all student data within the Schools’ student information system.
- School Calendars: Help develop and implement school schedules annually.
- Student Assessments: Assist the school Leadership Team with logistics for student assessment administration.
- School Events: Partner with the Operations Team and Family Engagement Team to execute all school event logistics, including school opening, field trips, new student orientation, and other events.
- Communications and External Partnerships: Communicate and work with key partners outside the organization to shape and share the story of Schools of Perea as a place of growth, opportunity, and community, ensuring consistent messaging and branding.
- Website Oversight: Manage the creation, design, and updates of Schools of Perea’s website and marketing materials.
While this description summarizes the core functions of the COO role, other duties may be assigned based on the Schools’ needs.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in School Operations with progressive responsibilities.
- Direct experience in people management and operational leadership
- Demonstrated experience in financial management
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Schools of Perea
Compensation: Schools of Perea offer competitive salaries and a full suite of benefits.
How to Apply: Interested applicants may apply by sending a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
About Schools of Perea
About Schools of Perea: Schools of Perea (SoP) are dedicated to the preparation of all students academically, socially, and emotionally for success by creating and maintaining a classroom and school environment that is student-centered, has high academic expectations, and makes all students feel welcomed, appreciated, and valued. Schools of Perea - Perea Elementary and Perea Preschool - are fully committed to educating the whole child, providing a culturally responsive learning environment that is grounded in foundational literacy.