Chief of School Operations and Climate
About the Achievement School District:
In January 2010, Tennessee passed the First to the Top Act, a sweeping reform of the state’s education policy that was the cornerstone of its successful Race to the Top application. The Act created the Achievement School District (ASD), a state-run education authority with the power to directly run eligible schools and to authorize charter management organizations to operate schools. The ASD was charged with enacting bold reforms to drive transformational results for students zoned to attend or attending Priority schools. In doing so, the ASD acts as an operator of schools (the directly managed “Achievement Schools” clustered in the Frayser neighborhood in Memphis), authorizes non-profit partners, and works as a catalyst for state-wide school improvement through increased focus on Priority schools and improved student outcomes. The vision of the ASD is for all students in Priority schools to be prepared for success in education, career, and citizenship after high school. In support of this vision, our mission is to fight for justice for Priority school students by committing to excellence, equity, and community in their schools and lives.
The Turnaround Principal will be the key facilitator for ensuring that quality research-based instruction and standards-based curriculum are integrated at all grade levels and in all content areas. Dramatically improving student performance is the impetus of the Turnaround Principal’s job description. This principal will lead the process for developing the 19-20 staff; designing a data analysis system for comparative data review; and moving the ASD school out of the bottom 5 % of student academic achievement in the state of Tennessee.
Specific Position Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Raise TNREADY & EOC scores, attendance rate and graduation rates as indicators of moving school to excellence
· Facilitate the development of the school administrative team
· Identify, cultivate and facilitate the development of efficient, effective systems, such as leadership, curriculum, pedagogy, assessment, intervention data management and professional development
· React proactively with regard to data analysis
· Create positive relationships with administration, school community members, district/building staff, parents and students
· Communicate effectively with all members of the school community
· Lead change effectively and handle other tasks as assigned
· Oversee, direct and evaluate the teaching and learning teams effectively
· Direct the development, knowledge management, implementation and evaluation of all aspects of the Achievement School District Standards of Quality
· Direct the creation and implementation of critical systems, such as leadership, curriculum, pedagogy, assessment, intervention, data management and professional development
· Direct all staff in articulating a clear vision of the qualities necessary for effective differentiated instruction within a Professional Learning Community.
· Establish and promote high standards and expectations for all students and staff for academic performance and responsibility for behavior
· Recognize patterns and trends related to school performance, analyze complex information to formulate strategic vision consistent with the philosophy, mission, values and goals of the school including instructional programs, extracurricular activities, discipline systems to ensure a safe and orderly climate, building maintenance, program evaluation, personnel management, and emergency procedures.
· Establish the annual master schedule for instructional programs, ensuring sequential learning experiences for students consistent with the District’s philosophy, mission statement and instructional goals.
· Supervise the instructional programs of the school, evaluating lesson plans and observing classes on a regular basis to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with research on learning and child growth and development.
· Evaluate all teachers within the building based upon an approved evaluation instrument.
· Establish procedures for evaluation and selection of instructional materials and equipment.
· Ensure a safe, orderly environment that encourages students to take responsibility for behavior and creates high morale among staff and students.
· Keep the staff informed and seek ideas for the improvement of the school.
· Organize teaching and learning opportunities and regular collaboration meetings; facilitate regular staff meetings.
· Assume responsibility for the health, safety, and welfare of students, employees and visitors.
· Establish schedules and procedures for the supervision of students in non-classroom areas (including before and after school).
· Communicate regularly with parents, seeking their support and advice, to create a cooperative relationship for student support.
· Establish effective collaborative working relationships with ASD central office teams.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
· Tennessee Curriculum Standards and State Standards
· Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, policies, rules, and regulations regarding school administration
· Organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of school programs, policies, and operational needs
· Principles, practices, rules and regulations pertaining to student discipline
· Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation
· Principles of management associated with maintaining the school’s financial records
· Use of computers and related software applications and the integration of instructional technology
· Create a vision and articulate it to all members of the school community
· Develop leadership among the teaching staff
· Develop a strong client orientation in all school staff
· Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals
· Direct and supervise professional staff in performing the administrative functions
· Manage the school’s educational and extra-curricular programs, activities, and operations
· Plan and implement an effective student discipline program
· Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, students, parents, and the public.
· Master’s degree in education, educational administration, curriculum/instruction or a related area from an accredited college or university is required with a strong emphasis on data-informed instruction that raises student achievement as measured by standardized test scores.
· A minimum of 3-5 years of demonstrated administrative/supervisory experience in a school setting required including documented curriculum development and teacher development.
· Must have a minimum of three (3) years of successful teaching experience.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary: $95,000. Will receive a $15,000 signing bonus for the 2020-2021 school year. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Pursuant to the State of TN’s policy of non-discrimination, the Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military services in its policies, or in the admission of, access to, treatment, or employment in its programs, services, or activities.