Under the direction of the TEP Coordinator, the Relief Teacher works cooperatively with Porter-Leath and Shelby County Schools classroom teachers to plan and implement the daily education program for the children. Operates under the reflective supervision of the Instructional Coach. Assume a classroom teacher’s responsibilities in the absence of a classroom teacher.
- Associate’s degree in Teaching in Early Childhood Education (ECE) or Child Development (CD) OR the equivalent with a minimum of 18 semester hours of credit in ECE or CD with a current Child Development Associate (CDA) credential with appropriate Infant/Toddler or Preschool endorsement is required.
- Minimum 2 years of experience teaching in an early childhood program is required.
This position does not include any supervisory responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions
- Observes, assesses, and documents each assigned child’s health, skills, behavior, growth and development.
- Provides opportunities for children to develop positive self-images and experience success.
- Develops, if assigned, an individualized and educational strength plan for children.
- Identifies any developmental concerns regarding the children and follows agency protocol.
- Plans and implements developmentally appropriate activities in conjunction with the teachers that will promote the social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of each child.
- In conjunction with the teachers, develops lesson plans with goals, objectives, activities and outcomes for children.
- Assumes responsibility for the management of the classroom during the lead teacher’s absence.
- In conjunction with the teacher, maintain a classroom environment which includes positive guidance techniques, that meets state and local licensing regulations, Head Start Program Performance Standards and Porter-Leath’s and Shelby County Schools’ philosophy and curriculum.
- Ensures all children are under appropriate supervision at all times. In the absence of the Lead Teacher, delegate child development responsibilities as needed.
- If necessary and/or required, participate in Parent/Staff conferences. If necessary and/or required, participate in home visits with classroom teachers. In conjunction with the classroom teachers and Family Support staff, encourage parent participation in the program. Develop effective partnerships with parents.
- In conjunction with the classroom teachers, develop and maintain confidential educational information for the classroom and ensure all confidential information is protected.
- Accurately completes all required program documentation and submit in a timely manner to the Lead Teacher.
- Participates in recruitment efforts to help maintain full program enrollment. Completes daily attendance and meal participation reports and submit them to the appropriate program personnel.
- Follows all mandates of federal regulations, state and local licensing standards and Early Head Start and Head Start Program Performance Standards, the Teacher Excellence Program and Porter-Leath’s and Shelby County Schools’ philosophy and curriculum.
- Attends all required meetings and training.
- Performs other duties as assigned, within the scope of the job description.
Must be able to physically interact with children, including talk, hear, sit, stand, walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and lift and or move items of up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to clearly communicate with parents, children, staff and other stakeholders. Must be able to manually operate and use a computer and other office equipment.
Maintain a valid driver’s license with a good driving record with appropriate level of insurance.
NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be constructed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.