About Perea Elementary School
Opened in Fall 2018, our charter school brings a unique, nationally acclaimed elementary school model to Memphis. In partnership with the Momentous Institute (Dallas, TX) and Perea Preschool (Memphis, TN), Perea Elementary School applies thoroughly researched best practice to prepare our students academically, socially, and emotionally for success today and tomorrow. For more information, please see www.pereaelementary.org.
The position of Special Population Teacher will be responsible forteaching students a variety of fundamental subjects as well as integrating a research-based Social Emotional Learning curriculum throughout the day. These subjects will include social studies, science, language arts (phonics, reading, writing, listening, and speaking), and math.
We are currently searching for a Special Populations Teachers (KK, 1st and 2nd grade) for the 2020 – 2021 school year. The Teacher will serve as a classroom Instructor and will work alongside an Instructional Assistant; together, they will:
- Assess children’s skills and learning requirement
- Design Individualized Educational Plans (IEPs)
- Collaborate with parents and school staff to track students’ progress
- Assess students’ abilities and craft teaching plans
- Adapt learning materials to students’ needs
- Keep track of and reflect on students’ progress
- Monitor children’s behavioral patterns and arrange appropriate interventions if needed • Find engaging activities to teach skills (e.g. drawing and theater drama)
- Manage classroom crises and resolve conflict
- Prepare students for transition to the next grade
- Inform parents about their children’s performance and potential problems
- Collaborate with the support staff (e.g. school counselors and speech therapists) to create holistic intervention plan
- Provide children with a fully integrated learning day.
- Teach student skills of self-regulation and communication.
- Teach students through activeengagement.
- Engage students in lines of inquiry to enhance their learning.
- Evaluate child’s achievement of the overall grade-level expectations based on the TDOE standards. • Communicate with parents and students regularly.
- Model emotional regulation for students.
- Teach appropriate behaviors in the school setting.
- Model understanding and response for behavior.
- Create and model clear rules in the classroom and for the outside world.
- Model consistent expectations for the classroom.
- Use positive discipline tactics that are developmentally appropriate aligned to Perea’s Student Support Model
- Help students develop positive relationships with each other and other people in their lives. • Teach emotional intelligence in a way that is practical and relevant.
- Teach and model behavior of strong readers and listeners to encourage development. • Teach students how to use words to express increasingly sophisticated feelings.
- Teach students the foundations of literacy and numeracy.
- Help families identify potential strengths and areas of growth to meet the individual needs of each student.
- Helps families’ access resources and supports for wrap around services.
- Participate in professional learning; share professional resources.
- Praise students in order to acknowledge their development and achievements using appropriate words and body language.
- Conduct all work activities in a timely and professional manner reflecting best educational practices. • Support and reinforce Perea’s Core Values: community, empathy, innovation, safety and excellence with our students, parents, community members and colleagues
- Bachelor’s degree with a strong record of academic achievement and a valid Tennessee Teacher License
- Affinity for the compelling mission of Perea Elementary School
- Personal and professional integrity
- Proven experience as a Special Population Teacher or relevant role
- Good knowledge of current special education topics and methodologies
- Experience working with children with a wide range of disabilities
- Ability to create IEPs
- A patient, resourceful, and resilient personality
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.