Lower School Music and Visual Art Teacher – Artist in Residence
Memphis Campus (3749 Kimball Avenue, Memphis, TN 38111)
St. George’s Independent School seeks a passionate, entrepreneurial, and hard-working individual who is energized by work with families to serve as a Lower School Music and Visual Art Teacher beginning August 2020.
As an Episcopal school, St. George’s welcomes and respects all religious, racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We affirm differences as sources of strength that create a culture of transformative diversity, building upon shared experiences that deepen our humanity and enhance the intellectual, social, spiritual, and moral development of all students. We believe that valuing diversity and inclusion is sacred and living this value transforms our institution, our people, and the greater community.
Type: Salary, 80% time
Duration: Annual Letter of Agreement
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in music or music education; strong piano and vocal skills desired
The lower school music program seeks to help students grow in their enjoyment, appreciation, understanding, and performance of music; this includes singing, playing instruments, and understanding music theory. The lower school visual art program develops artistry in all children through art-making techniques, art history, critique, and aesthetics in a variety of media.
The successful candidate will possess skills and experience that would include the ability to:
• teach early childhood and elementary music classes with an emphasis on singing, movement, musical games, and percussion instruments
• teach early childhood and elementary visual art classes that are engaging and build the skills of artistry
• play keyboard for chapel worship services
• produce biannual student performance concerts across all grade levels
• create student art to display in school and to demonstrate their growth and learning to take home
• collaborate with colleagues in the music, visual art, and academic classes to create a cohesive and integrated program
• attend faculty meetings and community events outside of school hours
Physical Requirements: Regularly sit, turn, bend, reach, walk, talk, hear, and interact with campus visitors as well as others who telephone. Must have the ability to understand and present materials and communicate with constituents and co-workers in a harmonious manner.
Candidates will embrace the school’s mission and educational philosophy; candidates must be willing to work in a team environment and be positive, inspirational, and family-centered.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Ms. Jaime Nichols, Administrative Assistant, at email@example.com; fax: 901-261-3999; mail: 3749 Kimball Avenue, Memphis, TN 38111.