Libertas School of Memphis is a Montessori, liberal arts public charter elementary school serving a high-need neighborhood in Memphis. Our mission is to be a school for human flourishing: cultivating minds, hands, and hearts for lives of wonder, work, and love. We offer students from preschool through fifth grade a rich, rigorous, and personalized education through Montessori learning, supported with rich liberal arts content through Core Knowledge, and the best practices of high-performing urban schools. This work is done within an attachment village of supports between school, families, and our community.
Role summary: Lead a small school-based infant and toddler class for the children of Libertas staff members
- Full-time role. Work hours will vary with the published school calendar. Childcare hours are 7:15 AM to 3:45 PM (4:45 PM on Wednesdays). Childcare hours are slightly longer than regular school hours to allow staff members time to drop off and pick up their children.
- This role roughly follows the school calendar, including staff in-service days as published in advance.
- First day of childcare will be Monday, July 26, 2021. Part-time and flexible hours will be required before this date to help with planning and setup.
- Hourly wage of $15 to $20 per hour based on qualifications. Eligible for healthcare and other benefits.
- Reports to: Director of Operations
- Key relationships: Childcare Assistant Teacher; Families
Measures of success
- 85% satisfaction among stakeholders (families)
- Compliance with laws and policies around school-based childcare
- Satisfactory performance evaluations
- Other indicators
- Classroom setup: Assist in planning and setting up classroom (ordering materials, preparing new classroom, etc.)
- Supervision: Oversee the safety and well-being of children in your care.
- Activities: Plan and lead age-appropriate, child-centered activities, informed by the Montessori method. Libertas will provide training in Montessori infant and toddler education.
- Sanitation & Safety: With the support of school janitorial staff, implement an effective cleaning plan to ensure all of classroom areas are sanitary and safe. When necessary, administer first-aid or CPR to children. (School will sponsor First Aid and CPR training.)
- Record-Keeping & Communication: Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of children’s development and routines. Maintain excellent verbal and written communication with families about the child’s activities and development.
- Scheduling: In collaboration with families, develop and monitor schedules to ensure that children have enough rest, physical activity, and playtime.
- Nutrition: Collaborate with families to ensure that children are fed safely and on schedule.
- Classroom Partnership: Collaborate with and provide guidance and direction to Assistant Teacher.
Qualifications and traits
- Knowledge, experience, and confidence in caring for young children.
- Dedication to an age-appropriate child-centered model of childcare and education.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Experience with or interest in learning the Montessori method of infant and toddler care.
- Warm, positive, and patient demeanor.
- Effective communication, including listening, writing, and speaking.
- Ability to multi-task while staying organized and attentive to detail.
- Flexible, takes initiative, and has a strong sense of personal ownership of responsibilities.
- Work collaboratively, with a growth mindset. Give and receive feedback in a spirit of craftsmanship.
- Model of character.
Interested candidates should apply online at www.LibertasMemphis.org, where candidates can also learn more about our school. Please submit a resume, at least three references, and a cover letter (required) explaining why you would be a good fit for this position. Please direct any questions to hr@LibertasMemphis.org. Libertas does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.