Background: Libertas School of Memphis is a Montessori, liberal arts public charter school serving a high-need neighborhood in Memphis. Our mission is to be a school for human flourishing: cultivating minds, hands, and hearts for lives of wonder, work, and love. We offer our students a rich, rigorous, and personalized education through Montessori learning, supported with rich liberal arts content. And we are an attachment village of support between school, families, and our community.
Role Summary: Deliver high-quality, personalized reading and/or math intervention instruction to individuals and small groups.
- Full-time role, but abbreviated daily hours may be negotiable. Full-time instructional hours roughly 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM (faculty meetings until 4:30 PM on Wednesdays).
- Reports to: Student Supports Coordinator
- Key relationships: Child Study Facilitator, classroom teachers, Academic Coordinator
Measures of Success
- Fidelity of implementation of, and student progress through, curriculum
- Student growth and achievement on annual published school metrics (e.g. internal benchmarks, MAP, TN Ready, etc)
- Timely, high quality planning
- Family satisfaction
- Satisfactory performance evaluations
- Other indicators
- Plan and provide reading and/or math intervention instruction to groups of 1-6 children using school-provided materials.
- Coordinate with supervisor and classroom teachers to ensure that instruction is appropriate for the environment and aligned with both Montessori practice and the curriculum of Libertas. Collaborate with supervisor and classroom teachers to match instruction with the specific needs of each child.
- Collect and record data about each child’s reading abilities and needs, and share this data with classroom teachers and the team of support staff.
- Perform other intervention-related tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervise students within the classroom for 30-60 minutes daily, inside and outside of the classroom as needed, including at lunch, recess, and nap
- Participate in training / PD / collaboration as requested.
- Assist with preparation of materials as needed.
- Serve as classroom assistant on an infrequent, as-needed basis when teachers are absent.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Traits
- Foster habits of excellence, including order and grace & courtesy, through schoolwide and classroom-level practices and rituals, such as connecting before redirecting, using a warm and firm tone, matching children with works in the environment, tending the heart of virtue through presenting beautiful literature, and sharing responsibility for all our children.
- Be a model of character and striving toward virtue for students.
- Effective teaching experience in Montessori environment and/or urban schools in high-need communities
- Willing to serve all children, regardless of background or needs, in an inclusive and supportive setting
- Knowledge of and interest in curriculum content and children’s developmental needs
- Skills in instructional practices and classroom management for student achievement
- Interest in and commitment to Montessori and liberal arts
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree and appropriate teacher credential
- Love of learning
- Flexibility, initiative, and personal responsibility to work in fast-paced, startup environment
- Fortitude for the challenges we will face
- Warm and firm demeanor
- Work collaboratively, with a growth mindset. Give and receive feedback in a spirit of craftsmanship.
- Salary/wage competitive with the local school district and nearby charter schools.
- Eligible for increases, bonuses, or stipends for performance or additional duties.
- Investment in faculty professional development and growth. We also offer to eligible applicants our Teacher Residency program, which provides financial sponsorship and additional coaching and support to achieve state licensure and/or Montessori certification. Please contact us for more details.
- Paid sick leave for full-time employees. Deferred pay model distributes salary throughout the year (including breaks and vacations).
- Full time employees are eligible for health insurance benefits, which we sponsor at an above-market rate (approx. 80% covered by employer for all levels of coverage). We also offer dental, vision, and other benefits, and retirement plans similar to local schools.
Interested candidates should apply online at www.LibertasMemphis.org, where candidates can also learn more about our school. Please submit a resume, at least three references, and a cover letter (required) explaining why you would be a good fit for this position. Please direct any questions to info@LibertasMemphis.org. Libertas does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.