About KIPP Memphis:
As a leader in providing high quality education for students who need us most, KIPP Memphis is a network of open enrollment, tuition-free, college preparatory public charter schools. KIPP Memphis is a part of the Knowledge Is Power Program (KIPP) high performing network of schools. KIPP’s network spans more than 200 schools across the US and is known for having high expectations, focusing on results and ensuring students go to and through college. The mission of KIPP Memphis is to create high performing schools in the Memphis community that will equip all students with the necessary academic and life skills needed to succeed through college, the competitive world and to live choice-filled lives.
Founded in 2002, KIPP Memphis serves elementary, middle, and high school students in North Memphis. The KIPP Memphis team and family serves as a model of excellence and collaborates with other community organizations to raise the overall quality of education in Memphis.
KIPP Memphis Schools is seeking dynamic Spanish teachers who inspire students to learn Spanish across our elementary, middle, and high schools for the 2021-2022 school year. Candidates should be passionate about teaching and celebrating Spanish language, cultures, and should be committed to collaborating with colleagues.
Reporting to the School Leader (Principal), the Spanish Teacher is responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous instruction in language and cultural immersion. Teachers will perform additional duties, as necessary, to ensure that all students learn.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Plan a program of study and unit/weekly/daily lessons that, aligned with state and district standards and that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and is developmentally appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media consistent with best practices, specific content knowledge, and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved
- Implement, by instruction and action, the region’s philosophy of education, the KIPP Memphis curriculum, and instructional goals and objectives
- Utilize diagnostic assessment tools to identify learning strengths and needs of every student, on a regular basis, for the purpose of intervention and/or acceleration toward academic and leadership standards
- Take necessary and reasonable precautions to assure safety in the classroom and the school for all students
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulations
- Assist the administrative team in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct
- Make provisions for being available to the students and to the parents for education-related purposes outside of the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms
- Provide time in the evening, by phone, for questions and concerns that students and/or parents may have regarding education-related issues that could not be handled during the school day
- Maintain professional relationships with colleagues
- Actively engage in all professional development opportunities
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
- State licensure and certification complete with an endorsement in Spanish
- Commitment to working with underserved students (Required)
- Commitment to the design and development of the school (Required)
- At least two years of teaching experience (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- Master’s in Education / Teaching / Content area (Preferred)
- Experience/strength in content area/Highly Qualified status (Preferred)
- Experience teaching in an urban school (Preferred)
KIPP Memphis is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals applying to the school. KMCS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.