As a leader in providing high quality education for low income students, KIPP Memphis Public Schools (KIPP Memphis) is a network of open enrollment, tuition-free, college preparatory public charter schools. KIPP Memphis is part of the Knowledge Is Power Program (KIPP) network of high performing public charter schools. KIPP’s network spans more than 200 schools across the US and is known for having high expectations, focusing on results and ensuring students achieve their post-high school goals. The mission of KIPP Memphis is “Together with families and communities, we create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose – college, career, and beyond – so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.”
Founded in 2002, KIPP Memphis serves elementary, middle, and high school students in North Memphis. The KIPP Memphis team and family serves as a model of excellence and collaborates with other community organizations to raise the overall quality of education in Memphis.
This is an ideal opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual to enhance and develop operational tools, systems, and processes to help KIPP Memphis reach a new level of success. The Director of Operations will lead implementation and maintenance of clear operational systems while building a data-driven, service-oriented culture, guiding the planning and reporting systems for operations and project management. The Director of Operations will report to the Managing Director of Operations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Managing Director of Operations to establish and accomplish organizational goals, objectives, and strategic plans
- Design and implement internal operational systems capable of supporting a network of five schools and facilitate ongoing assessment and evaluation of the organization’s growth initiatives with respect to:
- Compliance and reporting
- Risk management
- Lead the KIPP Memphis COVID response by working directly with senior-level staff to tackle COVID-specific responsibilities; coordinating communications; liaising with public health; responding to positive cases
- Lead the KIPP Memphis operations team, be responsible for regional day-to-day operational initiatives, and serve as a thought leader and subject matter expert on centralized regional and school operations
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with Operations leaders in other KIPP regions, sharing best practices, serving as thought partner, and exploring opportunities to leverage relative strengths
- Drive efforts to achieve greater operations efficiency (such as outsourced solutions) while maintaining the primary accountability to internal stakeholders to provide a high level of responsive customer service that enables them to keep their focus on serving the scholars who need us the most
- Responsible for setting and achieving customer-driven goals, identifying and implementing best practices, effective and efficient problem solving, and reporting status to stakeholders
- Drive operational support to Directors of School Operations through training, project management, workflow and development, and evaluation of team metrics
- Collaborate with School Operations teams to assess challenges and identify high-leverage improvements and develop solutions around KIPP’s school-level operations, including transportation and food services plans
- Facilitate bi-weekly meetings to ensure the sharing of best practices for school operations across the district
- Facilitate weekly one-on-one meetings with School Directors of Operations to discuss operations and compliance-related updates, training opportunities and deliverables
- Manage all facilities, food service, transportation, and technology procurement processes for the district that adhere to state and federal procurement policies
- Oversee program budgets and reporting for child nutrition, facilities and transportation
- Directly manage compliance efforts to ensure KIPP Memphis schools and regional compliance with all student/charter reporting requirements
- Ensure compliance with all KIPP Memphis policies and procedures, and federal and state school regulations, including operations training for new hires. Update and communicate processes and procedures to all stakeholders
- Secure contracts and manage relationships with consultants and outsourced vendors
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 6-8 years of work experience in business and/or operations, including a minimum of two (2) years of management experience in a high-growth, entrepreneurial charter school environment, or a similar organization
- Demonstrated success leading financial oversight and budgetary tracking to support strategic growth
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple, high-profile and complex projects simultaneously
- Able to effectively manage other people, both directly and indirectly
- Highly organized and resourceful, with strong attention to detail
- Proactively looks for ways to avert problems and improve systems
- Outstanding communicator (written and oral) with highly developed interpersonal skills
- Master of Business Administration
- Advanced certification (PMP, Administrator license, etc.)
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to the support of high-performing schools, strongly preferred
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience, degree attainment, and credentials. A competitive benefits package will also be offered.
KIPP Memphis is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals applying to the school. KIPP Memphis does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
All application information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.