Behind every successful student is a team of passionate and dedicated educators. As an instructor at JCS, you will deliver high-quality instruction within a small school environment where every student is known and valued as an individual. In addition, you will empower students to take control of their own learning and contribute to the continuous improvement of our nationally recognized model. Your professional learning community will provide a supportive and collaborative environment to fuel your growth and development. Together, we will change the odds for underserved students, ensuring that every student is prepared to excel in all areas of life.
What You Will Do:
- Assist in establishing a culture of high expectations that includes the shared belief that every student will is prepared to excel in all areas of life.
- Under the general supervision of the principal, coordinate physical activities aligned with TN State Standards.
- Refine and differentiate physical education activities based on student needs, capability, interests, performance level, etc.
- Collaborate with colleagues to improve practices throughout the school; share best practices.
- Communicate regularly with students and their families about activities and student progress.
- Involve parents and guardians as partners in their students’ education.
- Manage student behavior to ensure every student is fully engaged.
- Actively participate in professional development activities, and work closely with lead teachers, and principal.
- Support the mission, vision, and core values of Journey Community Schools.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Work in collaboration with Principal and Home Office to achieve site and organizational goals
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Journey Community Schools mission, vision, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
What You Will Bring:
- Ability to coordinate organized games and exercise activities for students
- Knowledge of child development and various learning styles
- Ability and willingness to implement best practices
- Ability and willingness to reflect and improve practices
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues, parents and community
- Computer and Internet search skills
- Bachelor Degree
- Physical Education credential
- 1-3 years working with children
Journey Community Schools offers its employees a competitive salary and benefits, including paid time off, small payroll contributions for rich benefit plans, life insurance/short-term and long-term disability, participation in a TN state retirement plan, tuition reimbursement plan, and adoption assistance program.
Journey Community Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. JCS promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.
About Journey Community Schools
Welcome to Journey Community Schools. We are excited that you are considering being a part of our team as we aim toward Paving Pathways to Success.
Our Mission is to engage families and community partners in our scholars' learning journey; cultivate a safe, positive and joyous learning environment; and empower teachers and leaders with support to deliver an inclusive, innovative and rigorous education. As a potential team member, you would be a part of carrying out our vision to develop a community of lifelong learners who excel in all areas of life.
Journey is a Tennessee non-profit corporation that serves as a Charter Management Organization through our Home Office and four Memphis Area schools - Hanley Elementary, Hanley Middle, Coleman School and East Academy that serve K-8 scholars. Our original parent organization, Aspire Public Schools was founded in 1998 and is based in California. The Tennessee Region of Aspire was formed in 2013. In June 2019, the Tennessee Region established its own local organization that soon became Journey Community Schools, Inc on January 23, 2020.
For more information about Journey Community Schools, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter at myjourneyscs.com