Behind every successful student is a team of passionate and dedicated educators. As an instructor at JCS, you will deliver high-quality instruction within a small school environment where every student is known and valued as an individual. In addition, you will empower students to take control of their own learning and contribute to the continuous improvement of our nationally recognized model. Your professional learning community will provide a supportive and collaborative environment to fuel your growth and development. Together, we will change the odds for underserved students, ensuring that every student is prepared to excel in all areas of life.
What You Will Do:
- Assess students frequently, examines student assessment data, and refines intervention activities to address individual student needs
- Develop and implements lesson plans and classroom activities consistent with Tennessee State Standards and JCS Instructional Guidelines
- Organize systems/procedures and manages student behavior to ensure all students are fully engaged in learning
- Establish a culture of high expectations that includes college preparation for all students
- Collaborate with Aspire team members to improve own and others instructional practices especially in math and literacy development; shares best practices
- Work closely with classroom teachers and education specialists to identify unique student needs; collaborates with team members and outside service providers to diagnose and address learning challenges
- Actively participates in professional development activities, including training sessions and working with Lead Teachers, Principal and Instructional Coaches
- Provides instruction with the after school program and collaborates with After School Director to design and deliver professional development in literacy instruction to after school program staff
- Provides classroom teachers, students, and parents/guardians with regular and timely information on student progress; finds ways to involve parents/guardians in their students’ education
- Tracks critical student information and maintains accurate student records, including attendance, in accordance with Aspire procedures
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and supports Journey Community School’s mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned
What You Will Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred.
- Valid TN Credential
- Specialist training in math, literacy, and/or reading recovery
- In-depth knowledge of math and literacy development and reading interventions
- Knowledge of child and youth cognitive development and different learning styles
- Knowledge of Tennessee State Standards and assessments
- Ability and willingness to implement JCS Instructional Guidelines and Best Practices
- Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative student data
- Ability and willingness to reflect and improve
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues, parents, and community
- 2+ years as a classroom teacher
- Experience working with K-5 students, particularly those reading two or more years behind grade level
Journey Community Schools offers its employees a competitive salary and benefits, including paid time off, small payroll contributions for rich benefit plans, life insurance/short-term and long-term disability, participation in a TN state retirement plan, tuition reimbursement plan, and adoption assistance program.
Journey Community Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. JCS promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.
About Journey Community Schools
Welcome to Journey Community Schools. We are excited that you are considering being a part of our team as we aim toward Paving Pathways to Success.
Our Mission is to engage families and community partners in our scholars' learning journey; cultivate a safe, positive and joyous learning environment; and empower teachers and leaders with support to deliver an inclusive, innovative and rigorous education. As a potential team member, you would be a part of carrying out our vision to develop a community of lifelong learners who excel in all areas of life.
Journey is a Tennessee non-profit corporation that serves as a Charter Management Organization through our Home Office and four Memphis Area schools - Hanley Elementary, Hanley Middle, Coleman School and East Academy that serve K-8 scholars. Our original parent organization, Aspire Public Schools was founded in 1998 and is based in California. The Tennessee Region of Aspire was formed in 2013. In June 2019, the Tennessee Region established its own local organization that soon became Journey Community Schools, Inc on January 23, 2020.
For more information about Journey Community Schools, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter at myjourneyscs.com