Behind every successful student is a team of passionate and dedicated educators. As a Counselor at JCS, you will provide a full range of school counseling services to children grades K-8, including screening and assessment, individual and group counseling, school-wide intervention and prevention and work with/referral to outside agencies as appropriate. The Counselor will also be an integral member of the RTI team, helping to plan, implement, and monitor RTI programs at various school sites. Together, we will change the odds for underserved students, ensuring that every student is prepared to excel in all areas of life.
What You Will Do:
- Create and implement therapeutic interventions at all intervention tiers for the purposes of fostering better mental health and positive learning environments for all students at JCS
- Collaborate with school on universal interventions for students such as peer mediation, conflict mediation, etc.
- Foster healthy families through community and school programming, including, but not limited to: parent education and community service
- Create and maintain relationships with outside agencies to help foster better learning and support for the students of JCS and their families
- Provide crisis counseling and referrals for students as needed
- Consistently and routinely update case files for students on his/her caseload
- Exhibit positive rapport with students, families and staff
- Continually improve counseling skills by seeking out constructive feedback and attending professional development opportunities
- Create positive and consistent communication with JCS staff and administration about counseling goals and processes
- Attend staff meetings, IEP, and inter-departmental meetings for students receiving counseling services
- Support the mission, vision, and core values of JCS
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
What You Will Bring:
- Masters in school counseling or related discipline from an accredited college or university
- Current State of Tennessee certification in Guidance and Counseling (487 School Counselor PreK-12)
- 1 – 3 years at a school or similar organization
- Experience with students grades K-8
- Demonstrated commitment to students and learning
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively and interact effectively with different audiences
- Excellent organization, time management, and follow-up skills; high sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple cases concurrently
- Ability to work as a part of a team
- Demonstrates ability to adjust to and use new approaches in the performance of his/her duties
- Deals with obstacles and constraints positively
- Possess extensive knowledge of a variety of forms of intervention and prevention models for both individuals and group therapeutic settings (ex: CBT, Play therapy)
- Possess a thorough understanding of and abide by NASW Code of Ethics, and/or the code of ethics of his/her specific counseling discipline
Journey Community Schools offers its employees a competitive salary and benefits, including paid time off, small payroll contributions for rich benefit plans, life insurance/short-term and long-term disability, participation in a TN state retirement plan, tuition reimbursement plan, and adoption assistance program.
Journey Community Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. JCS promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.