IELCE Part Time Instructors work with the IELCE instructional team to prepare and execute instruction of students. This person can expect to prepare lessons, instruct students, collaborate with staff, contact students regarding progress, and record data. They should be an engaging instructor who uses performance data to inform instructional decisions, willing to work with a team to accomplish program goals, and conscientious about keeping and recording accurate records. They are responsible for helping students progress in their English skills (as evidenced by achieving measurable skills gains) and connecting with students to track attendance and progress.
To be a successful IELCE Part Time Instructor, you should have an understanding of data based instruction, strong understanding of the structure of the English language, ability to relate and build rapport with people of diverse backgrounds, and proficiency with computers and software, such as G Suite, Google Classroom, and Promethean Boards. You should be reliable, professional, and have excellent interpersonal skills.You should also be able to differentiate instruction based on student needs and integrate skills and content to deliver cohesive integrated lessons.
The Part Time Instructor may be requested to work at the following locations during evening hours (5:45-8:15pm, M/W and/or T/Th). In your application materials, please rank your preference of location from one to three, with one being the most-desired work location, as well as indicate if you are available two or four evenings per week.
a) HopeWorks Main, 3337 Summer Ave, Memphis
b) Highland Church of Christ, 400 N Houston Levee Rd, Cordova
c) theRefuge, 9817 Huff N Puff Rd, Lakeland
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Plan and execute instruction to empower students to progress in English and career goals including:
- Review pretest and post-test data to target student skill deficiencies to enable students to make measurable skills gains.
- Prepare engaging lessons that incorporate all learning modalities.
- Instruct students in reading, writing, speaking, listening and English grammar integrating with civics, workforce preparation and life skills in compliance with WIOA regulations.
- Reach out to students who have not been attending class to understand barriers to identify and address barriers.
- Work with administration and student coordinators for student recruitment, outreach, and retention efforts.
Data and Records
- Maintain and enter accurate attendance records.
- Document student contact and student achievements
- Track student progress through Jobs4TN
- Lead by example, promoting positive communication, teamwork and professionalism.
- Promote IELCE program through interaction with students and prospective students.
- Support other staff as a member of the IELCE team.
- Refer students to other HopeWorks programs as need arises.
- Other assigned Duties as requested.
|EDUCATION & RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE|
(minimum & preferred educational requirements necessary to perform this job successfully)
|Bachelor’s required, teaching license (or equivalent) required; ESL or English certification preferred
Years of Related Work Experience :
(minimum & preferred related work experience necessary perform this job successfully)
|2-3 years teaching experience preferred; proficiency in language other than English preferred; experience working in country with second language preferred|
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of and ability to consistently apply TESOL best practices.
- A strong command of computer skills (preferably GSuite and education technology such as Promethean or Smart Board) is required.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills demonstrating an ability to establish a positive relationship with staff and students.
- Flexibility and willingness to work well in unexpected situations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure
- Must be willing and able to collaborate with others, both offering input as respectfully accepting others points of view.
- Able to exercise judgment regarding matters of significance.
- Deals with confidential information on a daily basis and must respect the nature of the data.
- Problem solving skills
- Bilingual (Preferred)
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
To perform the functions of this job, the IELCE Part Time Instructor will perform in-person work adhering to COVID-19 protocols. The work may require prolonged periods of time in stationary positions, either sitting or standing, and s/he may be required to do light lifting that requires moving objects up to 20 pounds.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties & responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. HopeWorks may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.