Core Content Teachers at Grizzlies Prep are privileged to be the primary drivers of student success. They work alongside grade level teams to ensure that all students are prepared for high school and beyond. All teachers design and implement a high-quality curriculum, uphold Grizzlies Prep’s academic and behavioral expectations for all students, operate as integral members of a high-functioning team, and maintain positive relationships with students and their families.
Supervises the behavior of all students in the classroom, throughout school grounds, and on educational trips using Grizzlies Prep’s behavior management systems and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, develops, and executes a high-quality, age-appropriate, standards-aligned course of study, adhering to Grizzlies Prep’s curriculum and instruction guidelines.
- Comes to work prepared to facilitate student learning on all school days.
- Adheres to Grizzlies Prep’s employment and school policies.
- Prepares materials for daily lessons, assignments, and tests, including substitute plans.
- Utilizes Grizzlies Prep systems for behavior management, grade entry, attendance, and other essential data tracking functions.
- Provides timely, meaningful feedback to students in order to remedy academic deficiencies.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with parents through various means of communication, including phone calls, emails, texts, and in-person meetings.
- Discusses academic difficulties and behavioral concerns with students and parents as they arise.
- Monitors students’ progress throughout the year and evaluates preparedness for subsequent grade levels and/or high school.
- Communicates all progress and concerns with tact and professionalism to parents and, as appropriate, other faculty, staff, and/or principal.
- Enforces safety and security standards for students, staff, and visitors.
- Maintains required paperwork for individual student files, attendance and incident reports, and other necessary records.
- Monitors halls, student transitions, study periods, and lunchrooms with other faculty and staff as needed by adhering to Grizzlies Prep policies.
- Participates in faculty meetings, educational conferences, in-service opportunities, workshops, and other training seminars.
- Maintains knowledge of research, developments, and best practices in middle grade education.
- Performs related tasks such as sponsoring student activities or organizations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Thorough understanding of effective pedagogy and enthusiasm for learning new practices.
• Ability to work within a structured academic setting.
• Strong belief in the importance of working as a team to accomplish school goals.
• Eager to be coached and open to adapting teaching practices to fit the specific needs of Grizzlies Prep students.
• Desire to teach middle school-aged boys and ability to adapt to their developmental status.
• Ability to design lessons that teach standards-aligned curriculum in an engaging manner, applying various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, demonstrations, and individual or collaborative projects and research.
• Strong supervisory and leadership skills to manage and control the classroom.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to maintain professionalism and tact in high-stress situations.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
• Active Tennessee teaching license with subject-area endorsement required.
• A minimum of three years teaching experience required.
• Previous teaching experience with middle-school aged children preferred.
• Must be physically and mentally able to perform the responsibilities and duties of the position.
• Prolonged periods standing and actively monitoring student behavior while teaching.
• Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
• Must be able to traverse classroom and adjust height, by bending or leaning, in order to teach each child.
• Must be able to facilitate classroom transitions by walking through hallways and up and down stairs with students.
Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance:
• Grizzlies Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires Grizzlies Prep to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.