Green Dot Public Schools Tennessee is actively hiring ten full-time Bus Drivers to join our team. Bus Drivers are an integral part of District operations and are key to students accessing equitable education and educational services. Bus Drivers are responsible for maintaining safety during transit for all students and passengers, by conducting route operations as directed, enforcing bus rules, managing student behavior, preventing unnecessary risks at pick up and drop off locations, and addressing and reporting bus maintenance issues promptly.
We also offer a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of all students.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Reports to work in a timely and consistent manner, as driver attendance is key to student safety, attendance and academic success
- Responsible for inspection and report of assigned vehicle, including completing daily pre and post-trip bus inspections
- Follows all safety protocols regarding issues with the vehicle and communicates issues that arise in the field to direct supervisor or bus maintenance staff as needed
- Meticulously observes and monitors bus stops, loading and unloading zones for students, and hazards on route paths (e.g. train tracks, busy intersections, etc.) to ensure student and passenger safety at all times
- Communicates with Dispatchers on a daily basis regarding arrival and departure times, traffic issues, hazards, or general concerns while on route
- Works to enact and enforce passenger discipline guidelines, including but not limited to seating charts, integration of student code of conduct and behavioral standards by campus, ridership guidelines, and disciplinary write-ups
- May be responsible for the specialized transportation of students in special education or medically fragile programming; duties may include lifting of physically disabled children, wheelchairs, utilizing restraints, or administering medications as required in an emergency situation; will require heightened communication skills and a relationship with parents to fully understand needs of students
- Responsible for completing all required training sessions, is present for employee meetings, completes drug and alcohol screenings and employee physicals, attends meet-the-driver events and professional development sessions, and any other meetings or events as required
- May be asked to assist in driving for field trip activities, athletic events, mid-day programs, or other events as needed
- Will be responsible for the assurance that sensitive information is handled appropriately with a full understanding of student privacy laws
- Required to report any known or perceived instances of child abuse or neglect to direct supervisor
- May be asked to substitute for another driver on occasion
- Performs any related duties as required
- Ability to operate a bus efficiently and in accordance with all laws, regulations and principles of safety
- Ability to drive safely in stressful situations while consistently maintaining a professional attitude
- Ability to communicate effectively with Dispatchers as needed
- Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with passengers, parents, the public at large, principals, teachers, administrators, and other staff members
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to pass random drug and alcohol tests
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent GED
- Must possess and maintain a valid Tennessee Driver’s License and a valid Commercial Driver’s license, with both student (S) and passenger (P) endorsements
- Must be at least 25 years of age
- Must be able to pass, both upon initial employment and every two years a Department of Transportation physical examination, which includes ability to pass background check with no more than two (2) moving violations and one at- fault accident in the past three (3) years
- Must acquire within 30 days, and maintain first aid certification
- Must have a strong ethical base and self-awareness
- Must have humility, a sense of humor, and a rock-solid commitment to Green Dot’s mission and the communities we serve.
Many of the assigned tasks require the driving of a passenger bus carrying school aged children. Variety in size of vehicle and capacity limitations may exist. This role naturally requires an extended amount of sitting time, while also requiring discipline skills, active listening, mental clarity and sharpness, good eyesight, reading and map comprehension, and directional skills. Some standing, bending, twisting, or crouching may be required for bus inspection, as well as lifting medically fragile students or wheelchairs onto bus or restraining students as necessary.
This is an hourly ($19/hr), full-time position paid by time on route, approximately 32 hours/week. Position is 10 months unless otherwise specified for summer school activities. Conditions and hours may vary.