Freedom Preparatory Academy seeks a certified High School Physics Teacher that will provide students with information about the calculations and laws associated with matter and energy. Focus on developing students’ knowledge, skills, and abilities in the comprehension of physics, including scientific methods and problem solving, as well as an understating of the practical application of science in everyday life.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Freedom Preparatory Academy welcomes teachers who are relentless in their aim to see student growth and who want to hone their skills as effective teachers in the classroom. Below are some of the tasks required of teachers:
- Embody the characteristics that the school wishes the students to uphold, especially respect, responsibility, integrity, excellence, and community
- Teach at least three to four classes each day
- Document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, and other curricular materials
- Work closely with the Head of School, Assistant Head of School, and Dean of Students to develop and implement strategies for all students to reach success
- Reinforce school-wide rules and expectations in the classroom and lesson planning
- Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, families and colleagues
- Assist in the design and implementation of research-based curriculum
- Maintain the school culture of high academic and behavioral expectations through continuous reflection
- Use detailed data analysis of student performance to inform best practices
- Assist in student arrival and departure, transitions between class periods, and lunch periods
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the Head of School or Assistant Head of School
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Tennessee Professional Educator License preferred.
- Eligibility for Tennessee Professional Educator License required.
- Considered highly-qualified based on NCLB guidelines
- Two to four years of urban teaching and educational leadership experience is preferred
- Successful manager of an urban classroom who has used structure, incentives, and high expectations to drive student success
- Experienced classroom teacher with demonstrated, quantifiable and objective student performance gains that surpass state or local averages
- Ability to work with a variety of learning abilities, including those with low skill level in a
- heterogeneously grouped classroom setting
- Energy and entrepreneurial spirit for a transformation charter school
- Unwavering in pursuit of excellence even in the face of difficult opposition and challenges
- Results-driven educational leader with a commitment to standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions
- Good problem-solving ability and good judgment
- Familiarity with cultural diversity
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, families, and community members
- Ability to be creative, resourceful, and reflective
- Possess strong interpersonal skills
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills
About Freedom Preparatory Academy Charter Schools
Freedom Preparatory Academy Charter Schools (www.freedomprep.org) comprise a high-performing PreK-12 charter school network in Memphis, TN. Our mission is to prepare all students in grades K-12 to excel in college and in life. We accomplish our mission through providing a highly structured, academically rigorous environment where students master core subjects, develop advanced academic skills, and demonstrate the school’s core values of: Respect, Responsibility, Integrity, Excellence, and Community.
Freedom Preparatory Academy was established in August of 2009 with a class of nearly 100 6th graders. We now serve nearly 1,800 students in grades PreK-12. In 2019, as we celebrate our 10th year of providing a quality education for students in low-income/underserved communities, we are proud to see our students exceed local and state averages in Math and local averages in English language arts. We have received numerous awards year after year for being one of the top schools for growth in the city and state of TN. In 2018, 100% of our 2nd graduating class were accepted to four-year colleges and universities!
We have three core beliefs that drive our mission: Every child deserves the right to a high-quality public education, a foundation in character development is essential, and direct exposure to an array of opportunities and experiences provides each child with the self-confidence and social knowledge to compete globally.