Freedom Preparatory Academy seeks a High School Math Teacher that will teach courses pertaining to mathematical concepts, statistics, and actuarial science and to the application of original and standardized mathematical techniques in solving specific problems and situations. Teacher will implement best practices in math pedagogy, use of manipulatives, modeling, problem-solving, math talk, collaborative learning, complex math tasks, etc. The teacher will also foster strong mathematical reasoning, argument, and writing skills in students while balancing instruction in conceptual and procedural math.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Freedom Preparatory Academy welcomes teachers who are relentless in their aim to see student growth and who want to hone their skills as effective teachers in the classroom. Below are some of the tasks required of teachers:
- Embody the characteristics that the school wishes the students to uphold, especially respect, responsibility, integrity, excellence, and community
- Teach at least three to four classes each day
- Document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, and other curricular materials
- Work closely with the Head of School, Assistant Head of School, and Dean of Students to develop and implement strategies for all students to reach success
- Reinforce school-wide rules and expectations in the classroom and lesson planning
- Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, families and colleagues
- Assist in the design and implementation of research-based curriculum
- Maintain the school culture of high academic and behavioral expectations through continuous reflection
- Use detailed data analysis of student performance to inform best practices
- Assist in student arrival and departure, transitions between class periods, and lunch periods
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the Head of School or Assistant Head of School
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Tennessee Professional Educator License preferred.
- Eligibility for Tennessee Professional Educator License required.
- Considered highly-qualified based on NCLB guidelines
- Two to four years of urban teaching and educational leadership experience is preferred
- Successful manager of an urban classroom who has used structure, incentives, and high expectations to drive student success
- Experienced classroom teacher with demonstrated, quantifiable and objective student performance gains that surpass state or local averages
- Ability to work with a variety of learning abilities, including those with low skill level in a heterogeneously grouped classroom setting
- Energy and entrepreneurial spirit for a transformational charter school
- Unwavering in pursuit of excellence even in the face of difficult opposition and challenges
- Results-driven educational leader with a commitment to standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions
- Good problem-solving ability and good judgment
- Familiarity with cultural diversity
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, families, and community members
- Ability to be creative, resourceful, and reflective
- Possess strong interpersonal skills
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills