We are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated choir director to provide musical guidance and direction to our choir members. The Choir Director’s responsibilities include greeting audiences before performances, teaching voice control techniques to choir members, managing the choir’s annual budget, and promptly resolving conflicts among choir members. You should also be able to work with various accompanists to enhance musical pieces as needed.
To be successful as a Choir Director, you should be creative, assertive, and passionate about music. Ultimately, an outstanding Choir Director should be able to interpret various styles of music and demonstrate exceptional communication, leadership, and organizational skills at all times.
Choir Director Responsibilities:
• Instructing choir members to warm up before rehearsals and performances.
• Deciding on appropriate musical pieces for the choir to perform based on the venue and occasion.
• Establishing and enforcing a performance dress code in accordance with established guidelines.
• Conducting auditions to identify and select suitable choir members.
• Scheduling choir rehearsals and ensuring that choir members attend rehearsals regularly.
• Selecting individual choir members to perform solos.
• Providing the necessary guidance and direction during choir rehearsals to assist choir members in achieving the correct tone, pitch, rhythm, tempo, and harmony.
• Directing choir members during musical performances to ensure that the desired sound is achieved.
• Creating suitable choir formations for rehearsals and performances.
• Participate in local and national choral director professional organizations, including regular meetings and competitions
• Produce or assist in the production of school musicals.
• Produce or assist in the production of seasonal concerts.
• Produce or assist in the production of other school-wide assemblies.
• Assist in the supervision of students in common spaces and hallways
• Conduct engaging general music classes that involve instruction of the state standards for general music.
• Record all grades and attendance accurately and in a timely fashion.
• Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree with the ability to receive a Teaching Permit in Tennessee
- Certified Teacher in the State of Tennessee
- Bachelor’s degree in music education with an emphasis in choral music.
- Proven experience working as a choir director.
- Sound musical knowledge and vocal pedagogy.
- The ability to interpret various styles of music.
- Strong leadership and listening skills.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- A passion for music.
- Patient, creative, and assertive.
- Experience driving student achievement results, preferably in an urban public or charter school.
—Competitive salary and benefits
—Weekly professional development sessions
—Opportunities for advancement and growth
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $43,000.00 – $60,000.00 per year
About Frayser Community Schools
Frayser Community Schools operates three neighborhood charter schools: MLK College Prep High, Humes Middle, and Westside Middle. Our mission is to cultivate the gifts of each student, producing critical thinkers, upstanding citizens, and transformational leaders who are prepared for success in college, career, and in their community. We do this through advanced academic rigor, exposure to college and career opportunities, and a heavy focus on leadership and community.