ESL Teacher + Interventionist (20-21 SY)
Memphis, Tennessee // www.staracademycharter.org
The mission of STAR is to become an educational incubator that promotes innovative teaching and learning with a global perspective and to ensure the highest academic achievement in a safe and nurturing environment. Students will creative thinkers and sustain all knowledge to be effective leaders in their communities and abroad. In 2018-2019, we will serve approximately 300 students in grades Kindergarten through Sixth.
Interventionists (ESL Teacher) are critical to the effective and efficient management of classrooms and the learning process of children, as you play a memorable role in supporting teachers in establishing the pace of learning in the lives of children. At STAR, our Interventionists ensure that all students are both fully integrated and highly valued members of our learning community. As our name denotes, a STAR Interventionist shines in all circumstances!
- Set goals for student achievement supported by a guaranteed and viable curriculum.
- Work collaboratively with peers to ensure student success while also participating on the multidisciplinary team to promote students’ well-being.
- Serve as an advocate for students with diverse needs.
- Provide direct services/instruction for scholars who require ESL support.
- Use informal and formal assessments to support the development of students.
- Collaborate with fellow teachers to create a data-driven, learner-centered, friendly and safe environment demonstrating shared responsibility for achievement.
- Design engaging and personalized instruction that nurtures and empowers the whole child resulting in improved student achievement.
- Maintain an environment that demonstrates discipline, order and rigor.
- Engage in professional development and coaching to improve practice from fulltime STAR coaches and school administrators.
- Support the STAR culture of innovation, globalism, nurture, and hands-on learning.
- Appropriate, professional dress is required to avoid unnecessary distractions.
- Collaborate and assist in maintaining the STAR culture throughout the school day.
- Helps maintain a positive, successful, student-first school culture.
- Passion and commitment to urban education and closing the achievement gap.
- An ability to support teachers in an urban classroom that uses discipline, structure, positive incentives, and high expectations to achieve measurable student success.
- Ambition and desire to grow as an educational leader.
- Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of college preparatory curriculum, STREAM (science, technology, research, engineering, arts, and mathematics), and coding.
- Leadership/Integrity– Effectively communicates the School’s shared purpose; builds trust among colleagues; is accountable; lives up to commitments.
- Team Player/Commitment to Cause– Understands the big picture and manages position’s areas of responsibility in a manner consistent with STAR’s innovative agenda.
- Interpersonal Skills– Relates to and communicates well with employees, faculty, and other staff members in a cooperative manner that helps others to achieve their best.
- Productivity/Organizing/Planning– Meets deadlines, demonstrates effective use of time, and handles multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Willingness to Acknowledge Areas for Growth– Understands need for growth and is receptive to constructive feedback in instructional and cultural practices.
- At least 2-3 years of experience with children and youth – school experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or desire to learn elementary grades (Kindergarten through Sixth Grade).
- Demonstrated evidence in developing programs that benefit children and youth.
- Associate and/or Bachelor’s degree – preferred.
- ESL License and/or endorsement.
STAR offers a competitive salary, benefits, and professional development and welcomes candidates who add to the racial, cultural, and gender diversity of the school community.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,000.00 to $42,000.00 /year
- ESL Endorsement (Required)