Compass Community Schools seeks special education teachers for the current school year. We seek teachers who know their content backwards and forwards and are passionate about preparing Memphis youth academically and in character for college and life-long success. Our teachers will enjoy and benefit from our intentionally small school settings, which will help them to develop trusting, positive relationships with their students and colleagues.
- Support and contribute to a school-wide focus on three pillars: academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community.
- Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of student learning.
- Establish a supportive, joyful, and hopeful classroom culture that has high expectations for students’ individual and collective success.
- Instruct special education students, according to their IEPs, with purpose, clarity, and urgency.
- Oversee progress monitoring to ensure that special education student needs are being met.
- Coordinate the Response to Intervention program and monitor special education students’ academic progress.
- Participate in due process hearings and lead IEP meetings.
- Manage all aspects of the school’s 504 planning process.
- Provide coordination for the Student Support Team (SST) and guidance regarding identifying and evaluating students in possible need of special education and related services.
- Carefully implement all matters pertaining to compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Ensure student records are carefully maintained and that all timelines are adhered to regarding student evaluations.
- Serve as the school’s liaison in matters pertaining to special education.
- Communicate regularly with families as partners in the education of their children.
- Welcome opportunities to develop professionally.
Tennessee teaching license with Special Education endorsement (or current enrollment in a licensure program)
Affinity with, and passion for, the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
- Strong content knowledge
- Driving commitment to advance student learning
- Ability to lead students toward a joyful and productive learning environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to build productive relationships with students and colleagues
- Desire to work hard in a balanced, extended school calendar
- Experience with and knowledge of special education laws and mandates
- Experience working in an inclusive special education model
- Understanding of and experience with Response to Intervention programs
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited four-year institution
- Tennessee teaching license with Special Education endorsement (or current enrollment in a licensure program)
- Utmost personal and professional integrity
- Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
What We Offer
- Mission-driven, joyful, respectful working environments
- Intentionally small school settings
- Opportunity to positively impact the lives of Memphis youth
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. Be sure to include Tennessee licensure information on resume if applicable.
About Compass Community Schools
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools opened six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one middle/high) in the Memphis communities of Binghampton, Berclair, Frayser, Hickory Hill, Midtown, and Orange Mound. We focus intently on three pillars – academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community – as we prepare our students for college and life-long success.
Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.