The nationally-recognized Opportunity Culture model extends the reach of excellent teachers to more students, thus expanding opportunities for students and teachers (including the opportunity for significantly higher pay for teachers). As part of its Opportunity Culture model, Compass Community Schools is seeking a multi-classroom leader (MCL). Multi-Classroom Leaders, or MCLs, are the cornerstone of an Opportunity Culture. MCLs are teachers with a record of high-growth student learning and leadership skills who lead small, collaborative teams of teachers. They provide instructional guidance and frequent, on-the-job development, while continuing to teach part of the time, and have school-day time for their teams to plan and collaborate. In exchange for greater responsibilities and pay, MCLs are held formally accountable for the results of all the team’s students.
- Sets high expectations of achievement that are ambitious and measurable for all students taught by team
- Assumes and embraces the accountability for learning and development of all students taught by team members
- Leads a small team of teachers and paraprofessionals to meet the MCL’s standards of excellence.(Team sizes range from 3-5 teachers)
- Sets direction for team members, including team member’s goals, determines how students spend time, and developing teachers’ content knowledge.
- Co-plans, co-teaches, models, coaches, and gives feedback. The MCL also teaches students part of the time, in most cases
- Leads team to maintain regular communication with families, and work collaboratively with them to design learning both at home and at school, and to encourage a home life conducive to learning success.
- Works closely with the Principal, shares team members progress; and eagerly receives feedback from principal and team members to improve professional skills.
- Affinity with, and passion for, the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
- Prior evidence of high-progress student outcomes in the relevant subjects
- Proven knowledge of subject matter being taught
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with people who have differing cultural backgrounds and/or personal characteristics, including race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or economic differences. Preference given for experience working successfully with those of similar demographics to the desired school placement.
- Experience successfully leading and managing a team of adults to accomplish goals
- Bachelor’s degree and Valid teaching certificate
What We Offer
- Mission-driven, joyful, respectful working environments
- Intentionally small school settings
- Opportunity to positively impact the lives of Memphis youth
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
About Compass Community Schools
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools opened six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one middle/high) in the Memphis communities of Binghampton, Berclair, Frayser, Hickory Hill, Midtown, and Orange Mound. We focus intently on three pillars – academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community – as we prepare our students for college and life-long success.
Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.