The Director of Mathematics will maintain a vision for high-quality math instruction in Compass Community Schools and will spearhead efforts to realize this vision. He or she will provide leadership for all aspects of the network’s K-8 Math program to ensure highly effective mathematics instruction across Compass Community Schools. By doing so, the director will significantly support Compass Community Schools’ efforts to positively impact the lives of young people across the city of Memphis.
- Exemplify a vision for high-quality math instruction for grades K-8 across Compass Community Schools.
- Provide guidance and support to principals and teachers to ensure excellent math instruction.
- Oversee professional development sessions for all aspects of the math program, including identifying high-quality external professional development opportunities as well as creating, designing, and leading internal professional development activities.
- Support math teachers via classroom observations and instructional coaching.
- Provide leadership regarding the selection and implementation of math curricula.
- Ensure curricula are taught with fidelity and, where necessary, design instructional materials to fill curricular gaps.
- In collaboration with the Data and Assessment Manager, analyze student achievement data and help educators to make data-driven instructional changes.
- Identify and spread best practices for math instruction, including promising practices from within and outside of Compass Community Schools.
- Support school leaders’ efforts to establish school cultures that are supportive, joyful, hopeful, and focused on student success.
- Affinity with, and passion for, the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
- Demonstrated success in closing Math achievement gaps in urban schools
- Ability to lead educators towards high performance levels in pursuit of the Compass vision
- Strong ability to plan strategically and then execute these plans with attention to detail
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the capacity to engage, inspire and motivate
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to build productive relationships with teammates and with external partners
- Desire to work hard in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited four-year institution; advanced degree preferred
- Utmost personal and professional integrity
About Compass Community Schools
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools opened six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one middle/high) in the Memphis communities of Binghampton, Berclair, Frayser, Hickory Hill, Midtown, and Orange Mound. We focus intently on three pillars – academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community – as we prepare our students for college and life-long success.
Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.