About Communities In Schools of Memphis:
The mission of Communities In Schools of Memphis (CIS of Memphis) is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. The vision of CIS of Memphis is to strengthen our communities by addressing non-academic barriers to ensure schools have equitable access to services and interventions, empowering students to graduate from high school prepared for post-secondary opportunities. The organization’s core values are passion, diversity, innovation, community and integrity.
At CIS of Memphis, we are “all-in” for kids. It is our passion – it is our mission. CIS of Memphis, partners with Shelby County Schools, the Achievement School District, Charter Management Organizations, and Independent Charter Schools, to provide tailored resources and create communities of caring adults who work hand-in-hand with educators to make sure young people have the tools they need to stay in school and achieve in life.
Through the implementation of our evidence based model of Integrated Student Supports, this school year we expect to connect approximately 8400 students in 21 schools to targeted interventions and services by bringing community resources into schools, thus mitigating and eliminating non-academic barriers to student achievement. CIS of Memphis embeds full-time Integrated Student Support Specialists in schools to individually case manage students as well as connect the whole school to services. We achieve this mission by hiring bright, creative, and innovative team members who have a passion for what we do. Going forward, the organization is preparing to deepen its reach and impact and to thrive amid a resulting period of significant organizational growth.
At CIS of Memphis, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer for the benefit of our employees and community.
Brief Job Summary:
CIS of Memphis is hiring an additional Integrated Student Support Specialists (ISSS) to join our team for the 2021/2022 school year. This position will consist of school based work located throughout Memphis across all types of educational settings: Elementary, Middle, and High Schools; Shelby County Schools, Achievement School District, CMO’s, and Independent Charter Schools. The SSS will be responsible for overall planning, managing and implementing of the Communities In Schools Integrated Student Support Services Program Model at a school-based site. We are looking for passionate individuals who want to work with adults and students in a school environment. Bring your passion, entrepreneurial spirit, strong work ethic, and strong concern for the needs of children, youth, and their families to our team!
Integrated Student Support Specialist Major Duties:
- Coordinate and lead the delivery of evidence-based services based on best practice and risk-factor research. Widely-accessible, school-wide services will be provided to help address identified needs or to build and reinforce student assets. Additionally, targeted and sustained services will be coordinated and provided at the school site for specific students who are identified as having the greatest risk of eventually dropping out of school. This includes ongoing case management and direct support for students, including goal setting and individual/group sessions and some opportunities for individual, intensive support services.
- Build, lead and/or integrate into an existing site team that works closely with district leaders, school administrators, staff and teachers in the implementation of the Communities In Schools model, in conjunction with broader school improvement plans already underway. The site team may include school members from across various Shelby County Agencies as well as the school sites neighborhood community partners.. This process will include the building and nurturing of school staff relations, relationships with school and community partners, and the engagement of volunteers for the delivery of services.
- Lead the annual needs assessment process. This process will be based on multiple data sources including data collected by school districts and schools as part of overall school improvement initiatives; surveys and discussions with staff, parents and students; and evaluation results from the previous year.
- Lead the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of both the site plan and individualized student support plans. The plan will include measurable objectives, as well as procedures for delivering school-wide services, targeted and sustained services, monitoring and adjusting services, and evaluating and reporting effectiveness.
Integrated Student Support Specialist Minor Duties:
- Manage the consent/enrollment process and create individualized student plans for participating students.
- Monitor and adjust services. The Integrated Student Support Specialist will regularly monitor and adjust services as needed to their effectiveness and outcomes.
- Evaluate the effectiveness at achieving school and student individualized goals. The Integrated Student Support Specialist will implement the CIS systematic data collection plan to evaluate the effectiveness of services in achieving school-wide goals and individualized student goals. Regular reports will be provided to school and affiliate leadership to guide planning site services for the upcoming and future programming years. The Integrated Student Support Specialist will also contribute to affiliate level reports for local and the Communities In Schools national office.
- Assist with other organizational and project activities, as needed.
Successful Candidates possess the following skills and competencies:
- Has passion for, sensitivity to, and strong concern for the needs of children, youth, and their families
- Possesses high level interpersonal and communications skills; high degree of comfort relating to diverse ethnic populations and audiences
- Embraces metrics and data-driven reporting to share and promote the success of CISM programs
- Possesses the integrity and determination to work both independently and as a member of a team, willingly asks for help when needed
- Is curious about best practices in integrated student services and persistent in adapting and adjusting CISM programs as new trends emerge
- Applies basic child and adolescent development principles utilizing a trauma-informed lens;
- Has experience with restorative practices, school-level attendance and behavior improvement strategies and student-centered supports
- Takes initiative and is innovative
- Manages multiple tasks effectively and remains focused across a variety of priorities
- Thinks strategically and work toward practical goals and outcomes
- Possesses the flexibility to accommodate evolving and unanticipated needs of a start-up project
- Has solution-oriented abilities to navigate complex school environments
- Is detail-oriented and committed to follow-up and follow-through
- Has solid computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as database experience.
- Bachelors in Social Work, Counseling/Psychology, Youth Development or Education, with a preference for Masters level Social Work or Counseling/Psychology degree
- Demonstrated relevant work or volunteer experience in education, social services, mental health or a related field desired
- Knowledge of the CIS philosophy, process, history, and network a plus
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
- Competitive Salary Range for the position: 38k – 43k
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k with Employer Matching)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
Target Hire Date: July 2021