This is a unique opportunity to join the work of expanding high-performing schools that do whatever it takes to prepare students for college success. In 2012, Capstone Education Group (CEG), and its elementary school, Cornerstone Prep, joined the Achievement School District (ASD), a new program created to transform Priority Schools in the state of Tennessee. Since 2012, CEG has successfully launched two elementary schools and one middle school, been recognized for consistently earning TVAAS 5 ratings from the state, been the highest performing organization in the ASD for three consecutive years,scored in the 90th percentile in growth for 3 years in a row on a nationally recognized test and earned record proficiency in math and science on the state assessment. In 2018, Cornerstone Prep Lester earned the highest achievements rates in the district in math and science and in 2019, Cornerstone Prep Denver led the district in math proficiency and Lester Prep received a TVAAS 5 for the third consecutive year.
CEG teachers enjoy significant support, professional development, planning time and career opportunities:
- There are 3 Deans of Instructions/teacher coaches for every school, creating significant individual support for every teacher, helping teachers solve classroom problems and grow professionally. Individual and small group PD sessions occur during daily planning periods and school dismisses early every Friday afternoon so staff can participate in focused professional development.
- Every school has a designated behavior team, nurse, and counselor to support classroom teachers.
- Elementary school teaching roles include the following benefits: Two full-time teachers in kindergarten classrooms, a designated academic interventionist, and departmentalization in grades 3-5 to provide focused instruction and an extra planning time.
- Middle school teachers enjoy low teacher-student ratios (1 adult for every 8 students) and access to school leaders and coaches (each coach leads 4 teachers).
Cornerstone Prep and Lester Prep schools will continue to add students in grades k-8 to the existing three schools and seek outstanding teammates to lead this work. Please apply soon to be considered for positions in this growing organization.
Capstone Education Group equips all students with theWisdom and Knowledge necessary to succeed in college and to become leaders in their community.
- Systematically and continuously monitor incoming students and obtain the required documents, including those from previously attended schools, to provide appropriate program placement in a prompt manner.
- Monitor instructional processes to ensure that program activities are related to both program outcomes and IEP connections by monitoring data collection.
- Work with staff to ensure that curriculum accountability is continuous and responsive to student needs based on IEP goals and objectives.
- Make recommendations for assignments and/or reassignments of special education staff based on meeting the needs of special education students placed within the program.
- Provide assistance to special education classroom teachers as needed.
- Assist teachers in identifying and coordinating an instructional program that matches the student’s individual needs and instructional levels based on current assessments and development of appropriately written instructional IEP’s.
- Assist in improving the instructional program through classroom and teacher observation,special education meetings, and Friday Professional Development activities.
- Promote the development, maintenance, and utilization of appropriate information systems and records necessary for a successful special education program.
- Assist the special education teachers with use of EasyIEP to enhance understanding of the expectations of record keeping for IEP meetings,re-evaluation meetings, TEIS referral, and initial consent meeting requirements.
- Assist in developing individualized instructional plans and behavior improvement plans when necessary for teacher and/or student support.
- Assist special education teachers in the use of criterion referenced testing to develop and write instructionally and developmentally appropriate IEPs.
- Participate in Initial Consent meetings,Annual IEP meetings, and Re-Evaluation meetings as needed.
- Facilitate Least Restrictive Environment placement of students through acting as LEA in special education meetings as scheduled
- Mediate and facilitate effective resolution of conflicts related to special education student needs in a timely manner.
- Work with parents, campus personnel, and other central administrators to analyze and solve problems as needed.
- Work with the Director of Special Education to develop and deliver effective Professional Development for special education and general education teachers as needed.
- Work with the Director of Special Education to ensure effective reporting and communication on all special education issues.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare reports on children and activities, as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Coordinator CPI trainings and certifications.
- Mentor and coach Special Education faculty and assistants.
- Support with TCAP, Fast Bridges,TEIS, and other testing requirements as needed.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by a supervisor or other member of the organization’s leadership team. These duties will be in support of the organization’s mission but may or may not be directly related to the other tasks or the job title found on this job description.
- Active Tennessee teaching licensure in SPED
- Bachelor’s degree required / Master’s degree preferred
- SPED Coordinator or SPED Director experience preferred
- Knowledge of Special Education Laws and requirements
- Proficiency with EASY IEP
- Passion to deliver an outstanding education to students from urban backgrounds
- Willingness to “sweat the small stuff” and utilize every minute of every day to accomplish the mission
- Unwavering conviction that all students can achieve at high levels when provided an environment of high expectations
- Growth mindset displayed by openness to feedback and immediate application of that feedback
- Strong communicator who is organized,reliable and detailed and effectively uses data for purposeful planning
- Belief in the CEG mission and best practices as found in the CEG Blueprint
- Value common language, assessments and systems in every CEG school
Capstone Education Group
- Capstone Education Group leads three neighborhood charter schools: Cornerstone Prep Denver Campus (prek-5), Cornerstone Prep Lester Campus (prek-5) and Lester Prep (6-8).
- Capstone Education Group’sVision: CEG equips all students with theWisdom and Knowledge necessary to succeed in college and to become leaders in their community.
- Visit www.capstoneeducationgroup.org/joinourteam to view all of our open positions and for more information on Capstone Education Group and the schools.