Mission of the School – Believe Memphis Academy Charter School prepares students in grades 4 through 8 with the academic rigor, robust supports, and leadership development necessary to excel in high school, thrive in college, and lead lives full of opportunity.
Position Summary – As a Teaching Fellow of Believe Memphis Academy Charter School (“Believe” or “the School”), this person will ensure every student receives high-quality of supports and instruction delivered every single day. The Teaching Fellow is an individual who is committed to our Mission and desires the opportunity to develop their teaching and curriculum knowledge in partnership with a Lead Teacher, leading a mixture of small group interventions, supporting the general instruction, and getting opportunities to lead whole-class instruction. Through a partnership with Relay Graduate School of Education, Teaching Fellows enroll in a 2-year program to earn their teaching certification and Master of Arts in Teaching. Believe will pay for the cost of enrollment as long as Teaching Fellow fulfills all commitments to the school and remains in good standing within the program.
The Teaching Fellow will report directly to the Principal or Designee, receiving regular feedback and coaching around his or her instructional, curriculum and leadership capacity.
The commitment for this position begins July 1, 2021. Given the urgent and demanding work of founding a high-performing charter school, however, there will be opportunities and requirements to begin the work before the official start date.
- Strong commitment to and alignment with the Mission, vision, and core values of Believe
- Strong personal time management skills, able to balance full-time teaching and part-time graduate school requirements.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above strongly preferred; minimum 2.75 required
- Unwavering belief in the potential that all students can learn, an unshakeable conviction to ensure all students will learn
- Ability to deliver high-quality instruction in a rigorous, structured, and joyful classroom
- Leadership experience with quantifiable results of success, outperforming peers in parallel fields and markets
- Ability to work within a fast-paced and dynamic team environment with shared ownership over student achievement
- Commitment to solutions-based problem solving
- Expertise and love of instructional content
- Work alongside Lead Teacher in planning, teaching, and reflecting of content/grade(s) assigned. This means completing and submitting intellectually prepared planning documents by the stated deadline on an on-going basis, applying the feedback given before teaching each lesson, being receptive to coaching and feedback on the execution of lessons, and tracking data to create further instruction and intervention plans for students
- In regard to intellectually prepared planning documents, create lesson plans that are aligned to rigorous benchmark assessments and tied to state and nationally standardized assessments and standards, with key points, anticipated student error, and exemplar responses
- Lead reading intervention, enrichment groups, clubs, and/or extra tutoring for up to 2 hours each day
- Take an active role in building positive student and team culture of the entire School, every minute of every day that is aligned to Mission, vision, and core values of Believe
- Implement regularly shared feedback with grace and urgency for the betterment of student achievement, promoting positive school culture, and upholding professional team culture
- Communicate respectfully and collaboratively with families on consistent basis
- Work collaboratively within a team to implement instructional and cultural plans that support the Mission, vision, and core values of the School
- Demonstrate a Mission-first mindset to ensure all decisions and actions are rooted in ensuring all students are prepared to excel in high school, thrive and college, and lead lives of excellence
Our Commitment to Diversity:
At Believe, we firmly believe that we can best promote excellence by recruiting and retaining a diverse group of team members that are reflective of the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students and by creating a climate of respect that is supportive of their success. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience for our students that prepares them for a future reflective of the world in which our students will live and lead.
Believe Memphis Academy Charter School prepares students in grades 4-8 with the academic rigor, robust supports, and leadership development necessary to excel in high school, thrive in college, and lead lives full of opportunity.