Beacon College Prep, a new charter elementary school located in Raleigh, invites energetic educators to apply to the position of Elementary Teacher. The school is founded on the belief that all students, regardless of their previous education or zip code they were born into, can learn and achieve at high levels when held to the highest expectations. It is our mission to create a community that is academically rigorous, purposefully structured, and joyful, so we can prepare all scholars to succeed academically and to contribute positively to their communities.
The school opened in 2020 with two kindergarten and one first grade class. Beacon College Prep will add a grade level each year until we are a fully enrolled K-5 charter school. Thus, for the 2021-22 School year we are looking for high-capacity, energetic, detail-oriented, and joyful individuals to join our Team of K-2 teachers.
Job Description: A high-quality education is the right of every child, regardless of race, gender, socio-economic background, home language, or disability. Our focus on rigorous academics and character development will provide our scholars with an educational experience that prepares them for success in school, college, and life. Our ELL Teachers are responsible for providing excellent instruction to all students including our students requiring ELL services. ELL teachers are also responsible for facilitating all supports for our ELLs, including collaborating with our general education teachers. They will actively participate in professional development and form strong relationships with both students and families.
- Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of student learning.
- Establish a rigorous, supportive, and joyful classroom culture that has high expectations for students’ individual and collective success.
- Instruct ELL students with purpose, clarity, and urgency.
- Coordinate services among internal and external providers.
- Carefully monitor student progress to ensure that student needs are being met.
- Help to establish and communicate policies and operating procedures for English Language Learners programs and activities.
- Manage the screening and assessment of ELL students.
- Carefully monitor and manage matters pertaining to compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Serve as the school’s liaison in matters pertaining to English Language Learners. 1
- Identify and spread best practices for ELL instruction, including promising practices from within and outside of Compass Community Schools.
- Welcome opportunities to develop professionally
- Manage student behavior in accordance with school wide management system
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conference with parents, students, school leaders, and teachers
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate and effective techniques for engaging parents as they learn similar techniques to assist in the academic and/or development of his/her child
- By the time of employment, a Bachelor’s degree is required
- Tennessee teaching licensing with ELL endorsement (or current enrollment in a licensure program)
- Experience in an urban public school is preferred, but not required
Salary & Benefits
Beacon College Prep offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, and retirement benefits. All of our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary instructional supplies. Beacon is also committed to offering professional development opportunities.
All teaching staff will begin July 2021.